Strange Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Leak

I've got a strange leak on my 1992 100 CS Quattro. Occasionally, when it's raining, water will come squirting in from what appears to be the driver side footwell air system duct. It can be quite shocking when your foot suddenly gets squirted on out of nowhere. It usually doesn't last more than a minute.

As far as I can tell, none of the vents or drainage channels are jammed with debris.

I've noticed at least a couple times that the water comes out warm, and I think I also remember once that it seemed to ease up when I shut off the A/C fan.

Has anyone ever experienced this or have any idea where to look?

JP.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Does the car seem to lose coolant? If so, maybe the heater core is leaking.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Richmond VT...spend a lot of time in Castiine Maine though.

if your sure its not the heater core... get a hose out and start spraying the car in one spot and then another and see if you can find the leak that way.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrunkOnWine
I've got a strange leak on my 1992 100 CS Quattro. Occasionally, when it's raining, water will come squirting in from what appears to be the driver side footwell air system duct. It can be quite shocking when your foot suddenly gets squirted on out of nowhere. It usually doesn't last more than a minute.

As far as I can tell, none of the vents or drainage channels are jammed with debris.

I've noticed at least a couple times that the water comes out warm, and I think I also remember once that it seemed to ease up when I shut off the A/C fan.

Has anyone ever experienced this or have any idea where to look?

JP.
I know this is not of much help but I drove a 1992 100CS that my shop loaned me for a long time while my car was getting worked on and we were waiting for parts and it did exactly what your saying. It is worth noting that it did it only when raining and when I was coming to a stop. It was NOT the heater core it was clear water. It has to be a drainage issue and water is getting built up somewhere by the heater core housing. I just laughed when it happend I was like "only in an Audi"

R
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did someone replace the windshield? and cut thru the plastic weather stripping at windshield base , I have seen instances when this has happended on old S6's ,V8's are alittle different ,but could be a posible area to start looking..Ding
Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No coolant loss, its definitely clear water. No smell either. I like the hose idea, but it could be a challenge to do while the car is moving.. which is the only time I've ever had it happen.

Re: Randolph, I think you're right - I've only noticed this when coming to a stop.

There's only two places I can think of that water could be getting in (in enough quantity) -- the intakes at the front of the car, and below the windshield (the windshield hasn't been replaced.) All the stripping under the hood is in place, but there's a metal grid at the base of the windshield and I have no idea what sort of drainage system could be under it.

JP