Stuck Throttle on V8 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Throttle on V8 Quattro

Yep. Stuck wide open. On the freeway. I was able to get the car off an exit, turned key off, hit neutral and coasted to a stop. Yes, it scared the *$)#@ out of me. Lots of stink from the brakes and tranny too. Called the dealer to see if there was something roadside I could do - they said I should tow it. I did. Contacted Audi America and dealer to find out if this was a recall problem or something. They said there was nothing about that. I found out different very quickly after checking the net. NHTSA recall number 96V084 details the failure I experienced. Hours before my ordeal, my cruise control quit working. The bushing on the cruise control rod dissentigrated from old age. The rod then disconnects from the speed control pod and flops around like a loose kick stand waiting to catch on something so it can hold the throttle open. I'm trying to get Audi to fess up to the recall and pay for my $33.00 replacement part. I would like to alert all V8Q owners that if their cruise control quits working, stop the car ASAP, pull the air box off and verify that the control rod hasn't come off the pod. If it has, simply remove the control rod. As well, I urge all owners to check wether or not their car has had the recall upgrade. The nylon bushing they used is a time bomb.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Stuck Throttle on V8 Quattro

I have a similar problem with my 90 V8Q, but the throttle stays wide open at about two minutes after start up. Do you think it can be related?
Old 04-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The description from Audi: "A bushing which guides the cruise control rod can, over time, deteriorate and cause the control rod to bind. A binding control rod can impede the return of the throttle plate to its full idle position." So, I'd say yes.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:17 PM

This EXACT same thing happened to me on the freeway a couple of weeks ago. The differance being, I installed a "homemade threaded rod and clip" instead of purching the part from the dealer. Well, the rod came loose and stuck up against the valve cover. Of course I could not get it to disengage and my car screamed down the interstate at 80+ mph, with no way of engaging. I was just ready to hit send on my phone for the 911 call, when it dislodged and I was able to stop. Scary as ****... I didn't really want to turn the car off, I was at almost empty anyway, I was just going to ask for assistance in getting traffic out of the way, and letting the car run until it ran outa gas. It would have only been another 50 miles or so...
LOL!!
Old 04-05-2004, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BTDT too

With my former '87q. Middle of the desert just west of Laughlin, NV (You know, that's where the bikers have their shoot-outs and kill each other). Me? I'm from Minnesota so a LONG way from home.

Wired it up in a dust bowl town called Searchlight (You wouldn't like it either).

I Vegas the local Stealer didn't have the part.

FIX:
Local Autozone. Use one of the plastic license plate nuts - the square ones fit just fine. Never had a problem with it again.

Scary problem.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

how awesome would that be to legaly top out your car? hehe thank god your ok tho!