Stumbling and stalling 5ktq...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumbling and stalling 5ktq...

It kept losing power on the ride home, until I couldn't go over 50, and it bucked at low speeds.

I'm thinking fuel filter, check Hall sensor for tight fit in dist body, vacuum leaks, pull the codes... where else should I go hunting after this? The car is *sweeet* looking and I can't wait to drive it without having that sinking call-a-tow-truck feeling (thanks, AAA)...

Ah well, at least my screen name is accurate again...
Old 07-26-2004, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Stumbling and stalling 5ktq...

Probably a new fuel pump and remember to cut the filter on the pump. Sounds like the tank liner is falling apart.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ditto on fuel filter, plus other thoughts...

What was showing on the boost gauge? If you were getting a decent readout on the boost gauge - 1.0 to 1.2/1.3 unchipped - then it may be starving for fuel.

Is the fuel pump whining _really_ loud when it is bucking? That sometimes accompanies the clogged screen on the pump malady.

Put your finger on the fuel pump relay - is it warm or so hot that your fingerprint welds itself to the plastic (sorry if it does). If the latter, the fuel pump relay may be going bad.

Pull the codes too, see if the ECU records the Oxy sensor going out of range - if it is, may be going so lean that the fuel distributor cannot compensate. Again, a symptom of clogged fuel filter not flowing enough fuel.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Stumbly update...

Replaced the fuel filter. Pulled the codes and got 4444. Can't hit 1.0 bar (I prolly could but it is bucking so badly, I don't want to hurt anything.) CEL functional, but not coming on to indicate knock or anything else untoward in the electronics. Bypassed the crankcase vent hoses just to see if I had perchance a huge leak in the rear main seal... nope... Hall sensor tightly mounted in dist body. FP relay exchanged for the one in the parts beast 200q20v just for drill.

All of the above carried out in one marathon session last night, and still the terrible running... I'm sure not gonna give up hope yet, but I WANNA DRIVE! This thing is *sweeeeeet* looking inside and out, and the r12 A/C blows cold...

Any other ideas? The tank is nearly full (Darn!) otherwise I would have set about persuading the pump out last eve.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default could be bad fuel filter or in tank pump, or possibly a plugged cat converter.........

if "cat" is plugged, you will only get stumbling, not stalling when the car reaches a certain rpm or speed. Then, it simply won't go any faster, as exhaust gas simply cannot escape through the exhaust system fast enough. A good hint that it is your cat, is if you have been hearing a rattling noise eminating from the converter at idle. If so, a chunk of cat material has been broken loose and is lodged in the exhaust pipe.

With stumbling accommpanyed by stalling, then I vote with with Steve and audiqv8, it's likely the in tank fuel pump or fuel filter under the hood. Replace the filter first, its the easier and less expensive job. Just be careful not to bend or break the fuel line...........Rooster
Old 07-28-2004, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another idea ...

In the relay box there a line of fuses along the side of the box that look like spares. The're not. they are for the engine management systems. One could be bad.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe your last tank of gas has some water in it........

that would produce the stumbling and stalling that you describe. Add some "Dry Gas" product to the fuel, see if that helps. ..........Rooster