Sunroof is stuck on my 87 5000s :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof is stuck on my 87 5000s :(

For those of you who responded to my other thread, thank you :-D The only problem is that i dont think my 87 5000s has a manual crank for the sunroof. The motor is now dead, and the sun roof is stuck almost all the way open Ive tried the pulling of the sunroof etc with people helping me do it, and we didnt get very far, and the sunroof moved in an angled manner. AFter I said not to because i knew itd get stuck, someone decided to open up the sunroof almost all the way, the motor died after they did that, and now i have a nice view of the moon and tons of ice cold air to enjoy while driving. Any suggestions are very welcome Thank you.

--Jon
Old 03-12-2003, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not sure if this helps

Im having trouble with the sunroof on my 86 4kq. Im not sure if your sunroof is like mine, I assume it is, but I dont know for sure. My sunroof is stuck shut, thank god. The tilt feature works, but it barely goes back when i press the button. There is a way to crank it open, the owners manual goes through this. There is a lever you have to move, and then insert the proper size allen wrench into the hole and turn, sunroof will move. Audi supplied the allen thingamajig, and its hiding where the motor is.
I doubt this helped any, but there should be a way to manually crank the sunroof on your 5000, if its like my 4000 .
HTH somewhat :P

Mike
Old 03-12-2003, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sunroof is stuck on my 87 5000s :(

Like AudiSport said, when you open the cover and light over the motor there should be an allen wrench in a clip inside that cover. It fits into the center of the gears that the motor is part of. There is also a steel rod lever that can be turned about 1/4 turn to release the motor pinion so it can be cranked manually. The motor is probably still OK it is just off because the cam on the gears that operates the microswitch is telling it to not run.

The 'angle' that the sun roof is at is due to the problem that is locking it - the operating cables are out of sync with each other.

You need to crank it closed and then get it to angle up at the back. You may hear a lot of nasty sounds when doing this because one cable will move and the other will not. Use a clothes hanger with a small and strong hook on the end to remove the springs holding the inside fabric (like headliner) covering and then push that back into the opening behind the sun roof. At that point look at the actuators on the sides and you will find that one is forward of the other. The cables have slipped on the pinion that drives them.

Take bolts out of the motor/gears and lower them. Align the side actuators forward to hold the sun roof open and put motor back on.

This usually happens when the actuator twisted cables get dry and have a lot of friction. Try to use some lithium or other light spray grease in re assembly and on the sliding parts on the sides.

Another problem which occurs is that a pot metal cast part in the sides gets broken. If this has happened you will need to get a new one.

May want to see if you blew a fuse by forcing the motor.

Aren't the sun roofs fun to play with : )

Tony
'91 100Q 5spd
Have 'played' with sun roof in my '84s a lot of times. Hope the '91 doesn't have problems. The '87 didn't.