toxcheap: launching a quattro

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toxcheap: launching a quattro

i've asked quite a few folks and they have all been discouraged and very timid to do any sort of hard launch on a quattro car. lots of folks say they experience hard shuddering and very likely clutch failure. i've been busy the last two days and ended up dowloading and watching all your videos off your site. how do you go about launching your car at a dragway?!
Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Sounds like they may be launching too low, or not quite enough clutch slip...

You HAVE TO slip the clutch a bit on these cars, especially if stock. They cannot spin a tire very easily, especially with a locked diff or two. So, the clutch must take some abuse (slip it).

In the 5kq, I usually take revs to 3k-4500rpm, let the clutch out until it starts to grab, then floor the throttle and continue to let the clutch out (since the revs climb faster, it slips until fully engaged). Then, its about time for a quick 1-2 shift. Usually gets me in front of most cars that are not expecting it (5kq = 130hp). Last night in the rain, a poor Nissan truck got smoked at a dual left turn lane. I actually almost put the 5kq sideways with the launch and subsquent turn however. Still ended up 4 car lengths ahead of the Nissan, and about 8 in front of the Caddy behind me. Plenty of time to change lanes and make a pit stop at Taco Bell after work (11pm or so).

The CQ'd get 4k-5k rpm launches with similar clutch slipping.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thats what I did in the 4kq

4000rpm then slip the clutch alot, first shift comes up super quick. Did that when I took the car to the drag strip last year. Best time I could achieve was 18.0 flat, but I forget the time. Each time I improved on the time, and last run I had both differentials locked.
I cant wait til I get turbo, and then I can spank my idiot friend in his Cavalier.

Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 5400 to Redline depending on track conditions, and dump it. No slipping the clutch.

The reason for this is to get the tires to spin a little and keep the motor in boost. Slipping the clutch doesn't make for 60ft's and seems to really saturate and over heat the components quickly. As for the people who speak of clutch and tranny failure, I'm thinking there talking out there *ss and haven't done much racing. I think this only because I installed a factory clutch in spring of 2001, between 2001 and the end of 2003 I counted up a total of 114 track races and countless street races while putting 30K miles on the speedometer, all on the same gear box and clutch I started with.
And you can write off the idea that I'm just lucky, cuz A: I'm not and B: Den's wagon had the same results and only needed a clutch upgrade when he moved from 310hp to 420hp.
HTH
Old 08-20-2004, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

See, you guys have enough power to spin the tires...I sure don't, at least not right now.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If your at least chipped you should have enough power (diff unlocked)
Old 08-20-2004, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree with Myke, unless you're running too much tire dumping the clutch works great in a Q

Lower power levels stock to moderate mod 10v leave the diffs unlocked.

Once you get past 250 hp think about locking the center diff...leave the rear alone.

Tires and road surface have a large effect of course. The EKq 200 runs 235/17's with around 370hp at the wheels and on some surfaces its absolutely impossible to keep from bogging if you dont slip the clutch. On other surfaces even with the rear diff locked all 4 tires go up in smoke at any launch over 5k.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

TorSen car w/rear diff lock (CQ), will be chipped and sprung though.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't worry Eric it's gonna spin the wheels! That torsen isn't anything like a locked diff.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When did you dyno the wagon? WOW 370 at the wheels what was the torque?

Funny you posted because I was just thinking of you today. Okay why not lock the rear diff at the track? Because at the track we get better 60ft's with it locked. Or did you mean on the street? I've run 235/40-18's but never dragged the audi with shoes that big, but Den using a higher RPM launch can easy melt the 215's with center and rear diff locked on a groomed track <a href="http://toxcheap.com/EVILWGN%20vs%20S4.wmv">(Example A LOL)</a> I doubt 235's wouldn't spin. Well I'd like to see the graph on that dyno, boy that's sweet! Anyways I thought about you today because while doing some research on KKK turbo's I started reading this paragraph to my brother, half way through it he says to me "ShortyQ wrote that didn't he? I said I don't know a friend gave it to me to read, sure enough I flip it over and there's Scott's name at the bottom, I turn to my brother and say "How'd you know?" He laughs and says "Because every other word was BTDT." What's funniest about this to me is he's not online and only read a couple of shortyQ's post while at my house. I thought you'd get a kick out of that.

Quick Reply: toxcheap: launching a quattro