Transmission Filter / Flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Filter / Flush

Is it pretty easy to replace the transmission filter on the V8Q? Anyone have a DIY file?
Old 06-28-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd first try a quick drain/re-fill with mobil 1 atf. Drain the fluid from the pan and replace with 4 quarts fill from the tranny dip stick tube. To replace the filter you have to remove the exhaust that's in the way. If flushing helps then you could consider doing the filter.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

How much tranny fluid is required?

Last edited by RallyAudi; 06-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

4 quarts like I said above.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you open the drain in the pan, only part of the tranny fluid escapes. Replacing the fluid with a gallon of fresh tops the tranny off. The recommended fluid replacement procedure without removing the pan and changing the filter is to do the drain once, drive 100 miles, do the drain again, drive another 100, etc., until you've drained and refilled four times.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm currently in the process of doing the filter on the "parts" car to see if that stops the slipping when it "kicks down" on the highway. When I got the car it was basically empty(wouldn't drive onto the flatbed), and 3 quarts in yielded some nasty black liquid. Drained that/refilled w/ Mobil 1, and it would shift almost normal. Let a friend drive it for the last 2 months, and just drained it Sunday, and it was mostly black. Spent a chunk of Sunday getting exhaust out of the way, as PO had a "custom" exhaust built, and is welded in one piece(new Magnaflow cat's welded), so had to get the 6 bolts off at the header. Luckily they were original, and 5 snapped right off....last one got loose, and couldn't get anything in there to cut it out..ended up with a drillbit and a flex hose and it finally fell. Pretty sure that filter/fluid in that filthy tranny is 20yr's old, and we'll see if the filter is the magic fix.
If you really want to do it right, pull the lines at the radiator/put them in a bucket and have someone(safety glasses?) hold some clear plastic over it(otherwise they'll get hosed with nasty liquid), and start the car...as soon as the fluid stops pumping out, stop the motor. One's a return line, so they both should be "up" in the bucket so as not to resuck the fluid. Then do the filter, and refill w/ 9.5 quarts(book say's 10.2). You'll need 2 new Viton o-rings for that connection. I got a local tranny shop to get me the filter for $20/$10 for the gasket....(cheaper than I could find)...Weather permitting, I'm probably gonna get the pan off tomorrow/following evening, and will let you know what I find in the pan/if it solved the problem.
The Exhaust is the hassle here, and if you can cut/snap off the bolts, do it, as you'll want to replace them anyway, and it's much quicker...Had to chime in, as I'm currently doing this exact procedure.....I did the flush/filter on my Lago car when I got it, and the tranny only had 45K on it or so, and have felt good about that for the last 10 years....If you're keeping the car...just go for it...Tom
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks so much for the information. This V8Q has 76K original miles. I find it hard to believe this is happening so soon. So, given the symptoms, it's typically a fluid change and not the torque converter?

Also, I am curious how the limp mode is reset? What about Lucas Stop Slip? Anyone try this product?

Last edited by RallyAudi; 06-28-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

After disconnecting the battery, pulling #27 fuse, flushing and refilling 4 qts. of tranny fluid, still no reset.

Currently, the "M" will light up and the car will engage reverse with a clunk. Nothing else lights up Park nor Drive.

????
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by flushing? If you followed Tom's procedure, you need way more than four quarts. Tranny holds 10 quarts and a flush drains out at least nine of those.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I got the pan off last night. Surprisingly it was full of fluid(I'd already drained out 4 quarts), and since it was in the middle of the High/Low marks on my dipstick, I"m thinking at this point,it's empty. Maybe if you let it drain for a whole week, you can get the bulk of it? Just glad I wasn't directly under it, as it made a bit of a mess. I could barely blow thru the filter and am feeling hopeful....I'll let you know what happens....Tom

http://tinyurl.com/4xzh9xh

Quick Reply: Transmission Filter / Flush