Turbo Gurus, Help? Continued

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Gurus, Help? Continued

And, If I put a 26 back in I'll have to rotate the intake pressure side so it points straight down. 10V is angled towards the right... I think? Crawled under my sons car just now, is the ex manifold angle different, hence the different pressure outlet?

I imagine the housing rotates, but is the sealer a gasket or o-ring? And, if it's a gasket whets the chances of disassembly without ripping it??

Once again, a hour or two job turns into a saga.

Eric
Old 01-24-2007, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Part 1 Turbo Gurus, Help?

Screwed again... Never fails!

Been having some oil smoke at cold idle and decided to finally swap out the turbo on my 200 20V. (does have some endplay)Picked up a good K24 and was pulling mine when I noticed the exhaust flange was smaller on the one I picked up...

Seems that one of the two previous owners had the turbo replaced with a K26 (vs. the stock k24) and had a K26 flange welded on the exhaust. They did a nice job, I never even noticed the weld until now....ARGH.

So, based on info below do I just put another K26 in or do I find a K24 head pipe and install the one I got. I can exchange the K24 for the K26...

ECU will be chipped, already have them but wanted to straighten out the oil issue prior to installing them. Also have the SAMCOs and clamps...

Am I shortchanging myself by installing the K26?

Thoughts???????????

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Remembered reading in the Wiki info from Ned Ritchie

Subject: K26 turbo

The compressor wheel size determines quantity and pressure.

The K26 having a larger wheel can produce more pressure, but supplies less air as the smaller portion of the wheel, the inducer, the part that you see with the blades, is Smaller than that of the K24, and therefore a restriction.

The turbine, the hot end, on the K26 can exhaust air for 430 hp, but the compressor falls way short of that monumental task. With such a free flowing exhaust the turbine does not spool up quickly, and when it finally does the compressor intake is too small.

So the K26 will not make you a happy driver.

The RS2 has the same diameter compressor wheel AND a larger than stock inducer. It also has a smaller than K26 turbine exhaust, but not as small as the stock K24.

It is a better balanced turbocharger for higher horse power, but nothing beats the stock turbo for quick around town stop & go driving.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The compressor housing simply rotates...

Loosen the 6 bolts on the backing plate and then you can move the housing to where you want it to point.

There is a o-ring that seals the housing to the backplate.

Steve
Michigan
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The k24 and 26 should be the same flangewise...

both at the turbo to exhaust manifold and turbo to downpipe flanges...

You should be able to take a k24 or 26 and put them on. They should physically fit no problem.

I don't know what the PO has done to your car but the original weld is somewhat nasty looking(strong, not pretty) so you might be confused into thinking it was redone?

Steve
Michigan
Old 01-25-2007, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The k24 and 26 should be the same flangewise...

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.... You're correct, the flanges are the same. (Diff dia exhaust internals)I was pretty tired by the time i got that far last night and worked myself into a tizzy. Turbo has two flanges, i got just a little confused. As for the weld, guess it is a factory weld, big ugly thing, but clean.

Will be interesting to see the difference power wise between the two. (Per Ned R's statement i had pasted)

Was surprised to see a different turbo in there, this car had a tremendous amount of work done by a PO and all the receipts came with it.

Fresh start today, one more nut on each flange and it's ready to come off. Truth is, if i hadn't gotten wrapped up in my dilemma it would have been done by now!!!

And, maybe i would have focused a little more on the 16x8 fuchs i missed on ebay...waa

Thannks, Eric
Old 01-25-2007, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The k24 and 26 should be the same flangewise...

Rotating the housing is called "clocking". It is handy that they can be positioned to fit one's individual needs.

Like Stephen said, the k24 and k26 are straight bolt on swaps. You should have no issues there as long as you clock the new one to be what you need before getting it in there.

When you get frustrated it is sometimes difficult to see the forrest through the trees. I know when I am tired I make mistakes. When I get tired and frustrated I put down my tools before I throw them. ;-)

Good luck. And try not using guru in your post... I don't think any of usconsider ourselves such. I know I don't. Just picked up a great deal along the way. By Maximum Boost by Corky Bell (~$20) and you will have all you need to know.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. its not a big deal at all. It'll be stubborn, but tap it and it'll come off/be movable.