Update on my possible V8. Need advice (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my possible V8. Need advice (long)

Ok, I spent some time with this car the other day and this is the situation. The Trans leaks fluid, the car drives fine till all the trans fluid leaks out. The guy said he put it up in the air and it just pours out really fast. Hmmm, second there is no pwr steering fluid in the car it all leaked out. No big deal, I can see that it needs new lines. Third, the wipers don't work at all not even the washers, nither do the turn signals. Fuse? Fourth, When I put my foot on the brakes really hard the brake light comes on then it goes off. A V8 I looked at over a year ago did the same thing. I was able to talk to the previous owner of the car and he said the car shifted fine, but it just stopped going one day so he got rid of the car. He said he thought it cost over $8000.00 to fix the trans in a V8!!!. I don't think he realizes that the car just leaked all the fluid out. I'm not clear where exactly the trans is leaking as I didn't get under the car, it was wet and really messy outside the other day, but the car does shift fine provided the fluid stays in it. IT's gonna be due for a belt service soon but I'm not worried about that. Car has a little over 100K on it. Also, I love the color. It's charcoal over gray leather. That I know is a rare color in a V8. I was told the car was black but it's not. And finally I have the opportunity to buy this car for very cheap, less than $1500.00. Please advise..
Randolph
87 5KCSTQ
93 928GTS
Old 01-18-2004, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my thoughts......

you will need to learn why the trany is leaking fluid so quickly, probably a bad fluid line or a fitting leak. Good sign, that the trany works okay when filled with ATF. Put the car up on a Lift somewhere, so you can see underneath where fluid is coming from.

As far as no P/S fluid, if the V-8 has the same hydro-vac system as the I-5, then it is probable that the steering rack seals are leaking the P/S
fluid, so the rack would need replacing. That will cost some bucks. It is possible that one of the P/S lines is leaking, if that is cause, then replacing only the broke line is not that expensive.

Regarding wipers, and turn signals, check the fuses first. Wipers are not that difficult to fix. Turn signals may not work because of a bad multifunction switch. It's the turn signal lever located on the steering column.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Audi.....never a dull moment when it comes to a multitude of problems needing attention. Still a jewell of a car to drive, and the type 44 is still one of the best looking cars on the road after all the years.
........Rooster
Old 01-19-2004, 03:57 AM

Default My tuppence worth

Don't touch with a 10ft Barge Pole.
Those leaks could be hiding a whole lot more problems. If the chap has let it get that bad, then what else has he neglected to do.
He can't tell the right colour, so that does not bode well either.

Steer clear.

Your buy price will also just fix the steering (inc r & r).
Possible brake discs and pads $600
Possible P/S pump and lines will also be silly money.

Go and get a good one on eBay!

Regards
Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM

Default Wipers/Signals = Load Reduction relay

Tied into the same circuit and causes those exact symptoms. 32 dollar fix.