Water Pump Warble

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Warble

Hey Guys,

I just noticed last week that I'm starting to get that gobble-gobble-turkey sound coming from my water pump area.

I knew I should have changed it when I had the motor out about 7k miles ago but it looked brand new. It has "Worldpac" stamped in it so I assume it's a Graf. It is a metal impeller pump.

So the question is should I change it? It's only making the noise with the engine warm. What troubles me is it just seemed to start making the noise. I didn't notice it before. No leaks or anything either.

Where can you purchase the quiet (GMH?) pump?

Thanks,

Chad
Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Chad is that the noise we were hearing?

I've never had a problem with Graf pumps but the Hepu pumps are supposed to be the best? But they don't make them for the 3B motor at least not that I can find?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No that was the A/C comp cycling on and off...

I had to run the de-fog because me and the Dog had the windows all steamed up when I came up front at Carlisle to get you guys in. ;-)

That's another thing I'll probably have to address at some point.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hmmm so you sure it's not one of the T-belt covers................

rubbing? Like I said I noise and turned out to be loose bolts on the alt. bracket. FYI autohausaz has Graf pumps on sale for $45.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think so. I actually pulled the cover Fri...

and checked it out. Didn't see where it could be rubbing. The sounds went away until today when the car was warmed up again. Definitely sounds like a muffled turkey gobbling. Can only hear it when the car is warm too.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I don't think so. I actually pulled the cover Fri...

If you're talking about an I5 engine (which I presume from your pix, but not everyone's sig pix depicts what they're discussing), that noise also can come from the timing belt tension being off just a bit.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was wondering about that..

Now that's something I should have checked when I had the cover off. Do you know if it's loosness or tightness that causes the noise? It is the car in the sig I'm talking about.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ive always used Graf pumps

Never an issue. I think my pump made a "warble" noise for a while, maybe 6 months after I installed it, it never bothered me.

If your pump is old then it may be time for a replacement.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I was wondering about that..

My memory fails me, but someone once described on Audifans what kind of noise the I5 timing belts make when they're too loose and what kind they make when they're too tight.

I remember a posting from someone who would adjust the pump pulley tension on the belt with the engine running and the bolts snug enough they had to tap the pump flange with a small hammer to budge it. Not something I'd want to try, mostly because of a potentially disasterous slip-up and partly because of damage to the O-ring that keeps the coolant inside.

I THINK the gobble sound is from slightly loose belts.

My approach would be to mark the pump alignment on the front of the block, loosen the bolts, add a little tension to the belt, retighten the bolts and give it a try. If it gets worse, I'd reverse my procedure.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I always thought that the 'gobble-gobble' came fromt the T-Belt being too tight?

I always thought that the 'gobble-gobble' came fromt the T-Belt being to tight?

I don't think that timing belts have to be as tight as we 'think' they need to be, as they have the teeth.

It's the 'teeth' on the belt that are making the noise as they enter and leave the sprockets?

Also confirmed (in my mind) by the fact that the car that having the 'gobble' had a fairly quick waterpump failure..

Quick Reply: Water Pump Warble