what to do when leaving car sitting for extended periods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do when leaving car sitting for extended periods?

I might be doing either a semester or year long exchange next fall and was curious what to do when putting my baby to rest for a little bit?

I was going to rent a storage garage to keep it out of the weather/sun for the time being. I was thinking about getting all fluids purged/replaced before putting it in storage, disconnecting the battery, and maybe leaving the gas tank low so that when I came back I would then bring a gas can with some 'fresh' gas.... are these good ideas?

What else would you do?

Car in question is a '91 200 20v
Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Rather than keeping the gas tank low...

It is suggested that putting fuel stabilizer in and filling the tank is better. There has been much talk about whether there is any considerable condensation that occurs during low fuel levels at long empty times. Some say you would have to have a great difference of temperature outside the tank and inside for any real accumulation of condensation to occur. In reality, if you are storing a car for a while, where ever the car is, the temp outside of the tank is usually the same inside, therefore no condensation "should" occur. But as usual, to be on the safe side, some dry gas and stabilizer should be put in and run the engine to allow the stabilized fuel to get into the fuel filter and CIS parts.
If you really want to go to town, "fogging" the engine prior to shut down is a good idea to keep the combustion area, steel cyl walls valves etc.coated with a light oil mist. I don't know about changing "all" the fluids, but changing the antifreeze is a really good idea.
Don't apply you parking brake too.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

why no on the parking brake?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: why no on the parking brake?

Because you would want to put the car up on blocks or jack stands to prevent the wheels from getting a flat spot.

Plus you really don't want the emergency brake frozen in a lock position.