Wiring help badly needed turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help badly needed turbo swap

hello im clint i work at evil genius racing in sacramento,ca
im building a unique race car with a mid mounted 5000 turbo engne a 016 trans axle, its just about all mounted in the vehicle and wiring and plumbing is after the caging. however it looks like im missing a critical part of the engine harness, the engine came pulled from the car so i have no other parts, i have the main harness here:

but im missing the section that connects to the WUR, coldstart valve, and to the ful distributor. im planning on making this section from scratch but where dfoes it go? i cant read the factory diagrams at all they are too blurry to make out. ill try to get some more pictures of where this part plugs in, ive looked at some NA 5000s and this harness part goes into the main car harness to who knows where. keep in mind i have no fuse box either just the main engine harness and computer really. any help is greatly appreciated, this car neds to be ready for mid august. heres some more teasers, and yes thats a mazda miata suspension... cheers -wolff

Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

race car? looks like a ford E series van
Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

heavens no, that would never be light enough, but it is a van. a japanese van. shaved off over 1000lbs from when i got it.

so does anyone have any legible engine wiring diagrams?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 06-05-2009, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Wolff,

I have to say this has got to be one of the most unique projects I've ever seen. If you find an Audi 5000 Hayes manual there are wiring diagrams in there for turbo U.S. models. I have one and I check it out often. It gets pretty detailed; this is the best for the price that I know of.

Once you get this "eurasian" van running I recommend a computer chip and a wastegate spring.. if you haven't thought about that already.

thumbs up!

Alex
Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have a name for it yet?

Have you thought of "The Micrrrooowwavvve"? You know since it's kinda boxy..!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah thanks, i will definately be asking tuning question when it gets running. my shop has a mustang dynometer for testing too. ive done some reading up on how to mess with the boost, ive worked on some turbo k jet volvo 240s but those had no computer to cut out timing. so do i have to trick the computer boost input?

as for a name, yes there are a few ideas, combining all the names of the parts, has some volvo bits too: toyaudiazdaolvo, or mazdauditoyolvo. stuff like that.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

keep in mind the front suspension is not done
Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OMG this thing rocks! My perfect music gear hauler - big, low, boxy, and 5 cylinder turbo power!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

As far as tricking the computer you do not have to. I would recommend a chip conversion in the engine computer. When you are ready I'm sure there is much help here. I just did mine for only $150 plus it came with a boost spring which upgraded it to .9 bar(13.5psi) boost instead of the stock .5 bar(7.8psi). Also the engine computer with this conversion has more aggressive ignition spark timing.

It's the best CHEAP horsepower for these that I know of. It's like $2.00 a pony. Stock I believe they are rated at 167bhp. I'm guessing I have somewhere around 210-230bhp. K&N air filter too.

It's fun when it has rained and all four of my tires peel out in 2nd at 35-40mph!(slight turn required)

Quick Reply: Wiring help badly needed turbo swap