Wiring help badly needed turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys not much more to update, i have some more cage plates in the car and thats really it, i have been looking hard for another turbo 5000 to look at at the junk yards, no luck but i did find a LHD '79 audi 5000 that was resonably complete, so i need to find time to get the new harness sorted. im sure ill have more questions for you experts soon.

later
Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well im currently tring to get the head off so see why it wont turno completely, boroscope shows some rust in #1. hopfully i can get that handled and the cage started
Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so removing the head was rather easy after i got the 12mm triplesquare socket. there was a ring of rust on the top of # 1 preventing it from turning fully. well a bit of wiping and a bit of wet sanding its all better, there wasnt any pitting either on the walls. so while i was in there i polished up the pistons and combustion chambers as well as smoothed out some of the sharp edges in the chamber. maybe i can get it running next time. i still dont know what the 3 wire plug on the side of the fuel distributor does. anyone?

shiny pistons:

head before, and after, my camera doesnt really show how much work was done.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

im back, and sorry no progress to report, ive been thrashing on another race project, a '82 porsche 928 i turned into a wagon. also got a '53 metropolitain that will have mazda miata suspension and drivetrain. but i want to finish this van first. work will resume soon, maybe tommorrow. also i have finally found a turbo audi 5000 in a junkyard and it is complete. its a '85 so some thingas are different. now if i can just remember what i need off it
Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

alright im at it again and this time the deadline is seroius so im really getting into the thing, im working on the cage curently but the engine will be next week, all ive done to it lately is clean it up and gone over my list of missing parts. i figured out the 3 plug port on the fuel dizzy, it was a diagnosis port. the last part im confused about it the set of three plugs for the knock, rpm and TDC sensor(red grey black), none of the wires i have are labeled, no colors on them at all? I guess i will have to do a coninuity test on the harness with a pinout guide for the ecu connector. And also what goes to the Kostall connector? any diagram on that? again any help or tips on this beast would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by vwdmc16; 12-05-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is the connector i didnt know about:

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

after a late night researching ive learned a lot of the wiring and details of the engine, i also have been talking to Ben Swann, waht a great guy! so helpful, i sure we can make this a real beast on the track

custom canaleiverd brake box

Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default AUDI 5kt Chip Mods & engine build - 24 hr. Lemons

Clint, this is a great project! I'm definately on board to help get details sorted, especially wiring. Link to MC-1 ECU pinout:
http://www.gtquattro.com/MCWiring.html
I'll be providing more details as this project progresses.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

wow, you've been making some great progress there! ben swann is a great guy too.. Can't wait to see this when it's all done
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 3 wire plug on the side of the fuel distributor

i still dont know what the 3 wire plug on the side of the fuel distributor does. anyone?

That would be the either the fuel consumption sending unit (MC Turbo) or airflow plate lift speed sensor ( NA NF/NG )

Quick Reply: Wiring help badly needed turbo swap