Wiring help badly needed turbo swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 wire plug on the side of the fuel distributor

Originally Posted by vwdmc16
this is the connector i didnt know about:

That sensor could be as described, but I think on turbo is served only purpose as fuel consumption and not needed for engine operation - would not be a part of the ECU harness.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

"the last part im confused about it the set of three plugs for the knock, rpm and TDC sensor(red grey black), none of the wires i have are labeled, no colors on them at all? I guess i will have to do a coninuity test on the harness with a pinout guide for the ecu connector. And also what goes to the Kostall connector? any diagram on that? again any help or tips on this beast would be greatly appreciated"

Yes - you need to do continuity test back at ECU - BTDT with same exact issue and very easy to get them mixed up. Here is what I did.. For each sensor plug, use small alligator clips to short/connect the two conductors of that sensor together -or- plug in a sensor only for that connector. Then at the ECU harness connector, locate the pins associated with each of the pairs and do a "loopback" conductivity test. If using alliclips there will be dead short - my meter would beep! -or- If using the sensor, then you should see the 1k ohm resistance(assuming the sensor is good) and thus you have located the pins associated with that connector. Label the connector end and do the others.

It is very easy to mix up knock sensor with either of the two flywheel sensors - double, tripe verify this so you don't end up scratching your head on a no start condition!

See wiring chart: http://www.gtquattro.com/MCWiring.html
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok so i got my haynes manual, it helps but man those wiring diagrams really suck. seems im missing more than i thought. why does the damn thing have to have CIS 3???

so that engine siezing thing is quite a problem, anyone have any idea?? other wise im takeing off the head.

also the manual does NOT say where the cam wheel needs to be when reattaching the belt. where does the dimple point to ???
You aught to have a Bentley set. Hayes pretty much suck for this type of work.

Not CIS E3 - it is a hitachi variant! Almost like CIS Motronic! Two versions away from going to EFI! The ignition is pretty much identical to the 3B (20v turbo) but short one knock sensor.

I'll send you diagrams - get the mechanicals hooked up. I probably have a harness too. Once you get the engine installed mechanically, and most of the wiring hooked up, we can work out remaining details.

Regarding the seizing - I'm probably too late since I think you pulled the head. Although the MC-1 is a non-interference engine, a high lift cam will interfere with piston - BTDT. I bet it has a modded cam and the piston is bumping up on a lobe. I bet if you have the belt on properly, the engine won't interfere!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

so yes most everything mechanically is hooked up, finished the axles and got the custom machined shifter mechanism done. more cage work is done and the steering is almost there too.

i will need help with the gauge cluster in way of spare harness ends to splice into it, if nobody has some im sure i can find some that i can get from a vw/audi/porsche of tha era at the junkyard, a gauge wiring diagram would help too. i will use the tach, water temp, boost (even though it will read low with it chipped) and some warning lights do these have a shift light?, maybe if i can get a speedo cable made the speedo might work.

extreme tilt, should help with driver entry

underside view, really looks nasty, but after cleaning and a paint jobs it will look tops!

gauges need cleaning

Old 12-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow - Good Progress. Your movin faster than I have been able to scour the garage. Contact me offline via email so we can get a list of things you need that I have. I have instrument clusters and likely have the cable adaptor and/or speedo transducer that goes into the trans. I recommend using the electronic sender - less drag, albiet how little and will work fine with the electronic 5000QT speedo - just might have to make a few small mods. and break the wiring out - have this too!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ive cleaned and reset the miles on the cluster, still need to do alot of wiring.

also doing some more cosmetic related work like the rear box flares and cleaning and painting the engine, found a LSD for the 016 for the rear diff of a V8Q

bearings look great too

flare

and cleaned and painted subframe, i hate working with greasy parts

Old 02-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

engine looks proper now

Old 02-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just noticed that the speedometer cluster does not appear to be correct for the MC-1 5000 Turbo. The 5000 turbo quattro has speedo that goes to 160 MPH.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah its just one i got off ebay, it will work though, really all i needed is the tack and coolant guage.

have you found any wiring that would be useful to me? i need a bit more input from you.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Package shipment hampered by Blizzard *+*+*+*+*

yeah its just one i got off ebay, it will work though, really all i needed is the tack and coolant guage.

have you found any wiring that would be useful to me? i need a bit more input from you.
Clint, I have your package coming together. ECU, and harness bits. some other odds and ends. Let me know what else you might need specifically for the conversion. I may also throw in a proper instrument cluster - the one you have is for a 100 and will not register proper speed or computer inputs for boost, MPG, etc.

We have been getting hammered by consecutive snowstorms - today blizzard conditions. This has pretty much hampered my effort to do anything productive as I have been shoveling snow full time!

Quick Reply: Wiring help badly needed turbo swap