wrong fluid in power steering what should I do.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrong fluid in power steering what should I do.

bought 1987 audi 5000s in july, reservoir was low, so I poured regular Vw power steering fluid. Found out the other day when replacing my belts it uses a special fluid. How can I clean the pump out and replace with the right fluid. Or do need to replace the pump. Or should I just leave it alone. Keep on trucking.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I take it you have been driving it

since.

Soon as, drain system and refill with correct fluid. Audi fluid G002000 or Pentosin 7.

Pentosin 11 can be used, but unless you are going to use it all the time don't. The 7 & 11 can't be mixed.

Draining the system requires a complete clean of rack, reservoir, bomb and pump.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:32 AM

Default Search on my id

Search on my id here and on Bentleys web site. You will find complete procedure as to how to drain and refill. I used Pentosin 11.
It is suppose to be better than 7.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 AM

There are some of us running Mobil 1 ATF without apparent problems.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:52 AM

Default not fun

this jobs sucks to do , i did it a month ago.

P.I.T.A.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You really need to change the P/S fluid pronto.........

regular power steering fluid over time will degrade the seals in the steering rack causing massive fluid leak. BTDT. Low fluid level will adversely affect the function of the power steering and the power brakes simultaneously. Best to flush out what is in the system, then replace with Pentosin, which was designed for the system. Some have had success using regular ATF, or better yet Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Attn: Scott Miller how long have you had Mobil 1 ATF in your system???

did you purge out all Pentosin before installing the Mobil 1? Does both steering and braking work okay in extreme cold using the Mobil 1?
Old 01-17-2006, 06:08 AM

Default About a year, 250k on the car with original hydraulics.

When I switched I had little choice, it wasn't to save $. I knew others had switched without problems. I just blew that same O-ring again, it's nice to refill on the spot without having to hunt down Pentosin. I doubt the seals will have compatibility problems, and I guessed the fluids must be ok together. On my BMW I'd love to switch my tranny from Pentosin, but there are a lot of critical friction parameters that may go wrong. I'm still tempted though...
Old 01-17-2006, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Attn: Scott Miller.......so you just dumped Mobil 1 ATF........

on top of existing Pentosin in the system?

I did the very same thing to an '86, when the reservoir was low on a Sunday, and I wanted to drive the car. The store selling Pentosin was closed on Sundays, so I just said "the hell with it," and dumped in about a pint of the Mobil product. I sold the car within 6 weeks, so I had no feed back if it caused any problems.

I have not switched to Mobil on my '87 5K, as the system does not leak. Thanks for the reply, Larry (Rooster2)
Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Yep, filled it from near empty twice now. Will drain a little tonight putting in a proper O-ring

My daughter drained it coming back from college with the O-ring blown, I did it last week. That O-ring blew several times while running Pentosin. I ordered a bag of Viton O-rings yesterday, should be here today, perhaps that'll fix it. It's easy to get to, I'll change it out soon.

Quick Reply: wrong fluid in power steering what should I do.