1988 80 Q - What Kind of Coolant? Do I Need to Flush It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 80 Q - What Kind of Coolant? Do I Need to Flush It?

I drove only a few miles today and when I parked my coolant was blowing up out of the top of the reservoir cap?! What?! I've never seen any car do that before. Maybe it wasn't on tight enough? Could've sworn it was. Anyway, now I am wondering if it even has the right coolant in it? I just bought this thing and of course the previous owner has no clue. All I know is it's green. Is that even the right color? Now I am thinking I might have to flush it just to be sure? Also my cooling fan frequently comes on? Is that normal? Am I just paranoid or is my car really out to get me?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm assuming that you've checked your coolant level... if it's where it should be:

At the bare minimum, a full coolant flush is needed. As for the brand, that has been a debate for years. I recommend that you go to your local Car-X, as they are the cheapest around for flushing with OEM Audi coolant.

HOWEVER:

It is important to discover WHY you had coolant pressure-venting from your reservoir cap. My guess is that you are in the beginning phases of the complete death of your vehicle's engine due to negligence in basic maintenance by the former owner. I'll give you 90% certainty that you're overheating due to poor circulation of your coolant. I'll also give you 90% certainty that the coolant isn't circulating because your water pump isn't working as it should.

You NEED to get to a decent mechanic and have this car looked at RIGHT AWAY. You can save the car from an ugly death, but you need to act quickly, given the apparent lack of personal mechanical experience you possess.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

awesome thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i would use a 2 part flush from prestone, you probably need to do your water pump/t-belt and thermostat all at once to prevent your car from going to a junk yard
also your car calls for G11, you can switch to G12 as long as you completely drain the system. i would recommend going to G12 as just about any dealer or a small vw/audi shop will have that stuff in stock. where G11 is a bit difficult to come by.
p.s. G12 is pink in color, G11 is red IIRC. and do NOT use anything else in your cooling system, if you have to add something, just add distilled water (unless your area still drops down in to the freezing temps) then your kinda playing with fire.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks. i can't wait for this car to be fun.