1988 Audi 90 Giving me a hard time! So are my friends!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Audi 90 Giving me a hard time! So are my friends!

Ok! I'm just gonna make a list of things that are going wrong with my car. Its my first and as much as people ridicule me for having it i still love it.
Problems:
:: No a/c or heat! Don't hear fan so i'm gonna check the motor.
:: Instrument cluster all shorted out. Gonna buy a
new one.
:: My car is starting to screech when i start off
in first gear but then stops after first gear.
:: Am I supposed to have lights on my radio?
:: Friends and Family make fun of my car
1. Brother (1990 VW Corrado G60)
2. Brother (1992 Nissan 300zx)
3. Friend (1995 Mitubishi Eclipse)
4. Friend (1999 Honda Prelude)
5. Friend (1994 Toyota Supra may i add w/ 400 rwhp)
:: You see as bad as my car looks and as many problems it has and as much as they ridicule it I still love the hell out of it and wouldn't give it up for anything. I want to make it look good and go faster! For Pete's Sake a Toyota Coralla had more acceleration. Somebody told me that i should tie the two throttle's together and have them both open at the same time. Somebody else said that it would only increase my topspeed which has a limiter at 125 mph. Does anybody have any idea what i could tweak at the engine to make my Friends and Family jealous???
Old 12-31-2001, 01:35 AM

Default Re: 1988 Audi 90 Giving me a hard time! So are my friends!

Hey - look on the positive side! My '89 80's glove compartment keeps popping open every 5 minutes, the #2 setting on the fan/heater doesn't work and the driver's side door lock freezes up if it's below 5 degs! (it would appear)

You dont have hose problems....or do you and just chose to mention the others?

Besides, its about being happy with what you've got and not being jealous with others' toys or trying to outdo them. I've give up on that front a long time ago. Yep, I love my car (at times) and I'd not mind something a bit flashier, but overall I'm happy with it. I dont have to spend that much time in it and I can leave it in the street without fear of it being scratched up by someone who was jealous of me!

HNY.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

the screeching is the belts, most likely alternator. go to autozone or advanced auto (or your choice) and get their top of the line belt (may as well get the PS and A/C belt as well). the 20v and the 10v (got all 3 for both) cost me $90, but the 8v will be cheaper since its a VW engine (the alt belt for the rabbit was $4).

the radio lights only come on (factory deck) with the running lights. if they don't, they be broken, check wiring first, then replace deck.

have someone check the R12 level in your AC system as well, may just be low (mine was).

heater, if it doesnt fog your car up, then its not the heater core, just the controller or blower motor.

this is assuming that you have a '88 90 FWD 4cylinder...

as far as getting more HP, get a cam for a 2.0L 8v Golf/Jetta, it will fit. if you really want to go nutty, get the head and manifolds port matched, and polish the throttle body. can also get a different exhaust put together by a competent local muffler shop for a couple hundred (keep the cat, and use a resonator and muffler like the factory does for sound quality and level).

btw, i dont think that the '88 90 is limited in top speed by a governor. it just doesnt have enough oomph to get beyond that speed. used to have a fwd auto '88 90.

hth,
-eric ferguson
'90 CQ 20v
'87 5kq (a model that AW says doesnt exist)
Old 12-31-2001, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Its actually a '88 90 5 cylinder (5 speed)
Old 12-31-2001, 08:30 AM

It depends on yow much money you are willing to spend. You could get an engine from a Coupe Quattro (European) model but then you would need tranny and diff's and the other stuff
Old 12-31-2001, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: Its actually a '88 90 5 cylinder (5 speed)

ok, well, no matter...

cams are out there, and you can still have an exhaust custom made. spend 3-400 on a cam and misc. parts, then spend 3-500 on an exhaust (go with stainless piping and "cans"). that 130hp NF/NG should be MUCH peppier. the right combo could prolly yeild as much power as the CQ's 7A (about 170hp). it shouldnt sacrifice low end power either. there are a whole bunch of things you can do to get over the 200hp mark easily, just have to spend the money (assuming you want to keep the norm. aspir. engine). a full race 7A can be built into a 220-300hp beast of a motor. wouldnt be much fun on the street.

if you actually do a swap, get an MC-2. has the revised after-run cooling, the faster spool K24 turbo. it's a CIS still, so the swap would be easier. you'd need the bigger 240mm clutch though.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:18 PM

Put a wet shot of nitrous in it. If they still make fun of you ask them to see theirs.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:59 AM

hey Fraser, i have to slam my glovebox in my '89 80 to shut it. wanna swap? :-)
Old 01-01-2002, 08:12 AM

Default Re: hey Fraser, i have to slam my glovebox in my '89 80 to shut it. wanna swap? :-)

Tried that - many a time! No success...now trying the TLC method of gently pushing it closed each time. Slightly better results, but still infuriating. Started when I bought it a year ago (my first Audi) then it was ok for months. Just lately, its started doing it again, and I'm beginning to wonder if it could be linked to the cold weather....maybe the plastic's shrunk just that wee bit and making the catch looser???

I'm pleased at the fuel consumption tho, which more than makes up for the 'problems'. Getting more than 40mpg, which is much better than I'd expected from an '89 car. (Or was I being pessimistic and this IS the sort of figure to be expected?) Comments would be appreciated.

F
Old 01-01-2002, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

try removing the glove box compart and check the mechanism?

Quick Reply: 1988 Audi 90 Giving me a hard time! So are my friends!