1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V - Cutting out/hesitation/uneven throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V - Cutting out/hesitation/uneven throttle

I figured out my engine timing issues, but today my Audi was giving me a different problem altogether. I tried to take it for a drive today and as it got to somewhere above 2k rpm, it cut out momentarily and then surged, and then sort of acted normal. Then the same thing again in 2nd and 3rd gear. It made the car practically undriveable. I haven't attempted to diagnose it any further yet. Any ideas?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

"I figured out my engine timing issues,"

No, you didn't. Your timing is still bodged, which causes the engine to misfire when timing is advanced under acceleration.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds a little like something that was wrong with my 20v, figured out that the problem had to do with a faulty Knock sensor; if that is your case as well, then be sure to get a VW bolt-through knock sensor (with appropriate bolt (MAYBE M8x1.25)) It is roughly $60 compared to the one-piece Audi sensors at $200 plus.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well yeah Loudgoldwing, but I was referring to this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2828204

Also meant that it was not giving me any issue like this at any point in the past.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Solid20vq, that's a possibility. I'll look into it next time I get a chance.

A guy I know suggested changing the O2 sensor and fuel filter (was getting O2 sensor code before in the thread I linked to Loudgoldwing).
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Loudgoldwing, sorry to post three in a row, but I read your reply when I first woke up and didn't comprehend it as well as I should have. I don't think it's merely a "timing" issue. When I meant I cleared up the timing issue from before, I meant that in the process of working on the car 9 months ago, the two fuses for Engine Timing were removed by either me or my friend who was working on it with me, and we never thought to even check that. But anyway, the reason I feel that it's not just a timing issue is that it doesn't feel like any misfire I've ever felt before. The engine cuts out entirely for a brief moment. The car is accelerating, and then just violently slams into deceleration, and then picks back up again. It's not like it does it for just one cylinder on one revolution, it's like the whole engine cuts out for at least a one or two full revolutions and then picks back up.

As Solid20vq suggested, maybe it could be a knock sensor? Also have been told to replace the O2 sensor since I have that part and haven't done it yet and was getting a code for it prior to popping those two fuses in and smacking my forehead for not thinking of it sooner.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I pulled the #27 and 28 fuses to check them today and found that the red one (can't remember which number, but they're both for engine timing) had the tips bent together. I bent them back apart, checked to make sure it was still intact, and put it back in. Problem is still there. When I parked it, I got an unusual noise. There's a little tick or noise thing that I believe is normal when the car is running and you open the door so that the interior light comes on. When you shut the door and the light goes off, the little tick coming from the left side of the dash is what I'm talking about. That noise happens now sometimes, but it's erratic and doesn't seem to correlate to anything (light doesn't flicker or anything).
Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pulled codes, only getting one: 2242. According to 20v.org, this means CO potentiometer. After doing some searching, it sounds like the O2 sensor is the culprit. Sound correct to anyone else here? I have an O2 sensor, but it's at home and the car is with me at my mom's house right now. I'll have to do it next time I come visit, but I'll be back to update.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes a bad 02 sensor can cause the symptoms you are describing.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all, I had a similar problem with my 1994 RS2. Hesitation, engine cut off etc. After i changed my igintion switch, the problem ceased.
Now I have other problems like false AutoCheck warning for blown bulb & oil pressure and dipping idling...

Quick Reply: 1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V - Cutting out/hesitation/uneven throttle