1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V Idle/Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Mismatch?

Well these definitely aren't the same. Is the new one actually supposed to be missing the connection next to the base of the wire? All the options on RockAuto show the same kind of thing, but it clearly doesn't exactly match the stock part.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another option....

is to read the handy write-up at:

http://20v.org/throttle.htm

Note the earlier question re production date. Count the pins inside the two switche's plugs and compare to the two illustrations at the above site.

Please note also in the above article that these items can be tested for functionality, which -may- help confirm if replacement is actually warranted. You can also check if the replacement part is any different/better.

Note also that a "Check Engine Light" does not equal a "Cheque Engine light", at least not immediately. The operative word is "check" as in "check it out", as opposed to proceed to "check-out" with your shopping cart of replacement parts that -may- not be required.

Testing may help you be more certain. Both O2 Sensors and MAF Sensors can be metered during operation to see if their outputs are reasonable.

HTH,
Lago
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha, yeah you're right. I don't have a multimeter at my apartment though, and the part was fairly cheap. It shows all the signs I've read of the TPS being bad, so I went ahead and ordered it. I contacted RockAuto, who in turn contacted Bosch, and they said that the part they sent is correct in Bosch's parts catalog, but that the part that is on my car is listed as the correct part for the Coupe Quattro. Do you know if the two cars actually came with different TPSs? It seems unlikely to me. RockAuto agreed to pay the shipping for my return though since the part I ordered was listed as being correct, but obviously does not fit my car.

So now I'm going to return the TPS, and send the MAF out to be rebuilt. When I get the MAF back, I'll put everything back on the car and see what happens. But it'll be a while before I get it back I think.

Thanks for the help and advice!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, when I talk about the two cars coming with different TPSs, I'm referring to the difference between the 90 Quattro 20V and the Coupe Quattro, not the years. The part I ordered is for the correct year of Audi, but the part I received is not suitable for either throttle body according to the diagrams on the 20V throttle page you linked to.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "Witch" switches...

Both my 20v sedan & coupe had the early style. I've never seen the RockAuto style, I shall ask again, how many pins in its plug? I think that may yield a clue. Is it for a 10v perhaps?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it had two pins in the plug that goes to the idle switch. Just nothing for the lower connection like in my picture. I didn't think to count the pins in the idle switch because it looked like it would plug straight into mine just fine, but I didn't unplug my original one off to compare, and now I've sent the part back. Still strange to me that they would list it under the 20V. I just looked on RockAuto under the Audi 80 Quattro 10V, and didn't find a TPS to compare to.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops, just noticed you can see in the picture that the new TPS that I sent back has three prongs on the end of the cord to the idle switch. That's what I was referring to. I'm not at my apartment right now to check the original one and see how many prongs, but the part number matches what RockAuto has listed under the Coupe Quattro, and the image attached to their product matches my original TPS. That one has two prongs on the cord and a three prong connection on the base. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=945955 There is a cheaper one listed, but that's the one with the best picture.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well this problem ended up being embarrassingly simple to fix: the #27 and 28 fuses were missing completely. I don't know how I overlooked it for so long. I just wanted to end this thread with a solution so others coming along looking for help can find it or at least know what ended up happening in my case.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re; final chapter

Thanks for coming back and tying up the end of your thread sir, someone <i>will</i> use it. If folks don't write endings, what good would mining the archive be? The other thing that happens is that folks are often able to build on what others have written, to everyone's benifit.

I can sympathize with your "simple fix" as I have more than once found an issue's cause was something I'd either done incorrectly, ignored or failed to inspect.