1995 90 QS wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add number three to Loud's rules.

3) Inform your female significant others that metal does not "heal" just because you're a babe, blonde, or have a nice(fill in the blank). As in, "If I go easy on the brakes, they'll get better." No, that is metal grinding on metal, lady! Pull over and call us!

In this case the two miles cost you a bundle. She owes you big time. The car ran OK because because the hot metal had not yet welded itself together.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, I'm willing to offer this alternative scenario...

Let's say that the water pump seized, causing its pulley to shear off due to the torque of the timing belt. Let's say the timing belt, though loose, still had enough spring in its tensioner to take up the slack caused by no water pump.

THAT would account for the car running another 2 miles. But the bad smell was likely the burning oil, combined with the steam ejaculation, of a (likely terminally) overheated engine.

Different set of happenings, but likely the same result. Is it possible that the engine is only temporarily seized due to an overheat steam vacuum? Yes. But it's about the same possibility that we're going to see a Federal Budget surplus in my lifetime.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Loudgoldwing
OK, I'm willing to offer this alternative scenario...
I appreciate the encouragement. I already started car shopping. If I do get another Audi I am sure I will be back here asking for advice. This board has been great and the people friendly and knowledgeable.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm into the girlfriend scenario

Alternatively, with knowledge aforethought, she knows the thing is overheating like a marshmallow on a campfire, opens the hood to confirm it, pauses, and decides that if he was a really good boyfriend, he wouldn't make her drive a 1995 for God's sake, even if it IS quattro and he loves it enough to upgrade it, and he ought to get her something better FOR FREE! Then she drives it another 20 minutes just to make sure it's overheated.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update the engine is not seized

I talked to the mechanic last night for a minute and he hasn’t gotten the car on the lift yet but he said the engine is not seized and the timing is not off.

He said it may be that the starter went bad. I am still suspicious of the alarm system personally as I mention before given the auto lock is not working as it should.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could it be...

the starter?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=starter
Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default We have a winner

Originally Posted by Lago Blue
The garage finally called. He said it looks like the started stuck on. The starter teeth were mangled so he will check the flywheel to make sure it was not too bad off.

He said the all the belts were good and the smell was not burning belt but burning starter from having the thing spinning for 2 miles.

The Audi lives... I love that car.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You may want to be checking your

ignition switch if the starter stuck on or you may toast a brand new starter.
Search the forum for ignition switch and starter stuck info.
Make sure you buy oem for a switch.
good luck
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Glad to hear it's OK

And sorry about the girlfriend comments. I had a good story going there. If she has a ton of crap on her keychain, it can weigh down on the key and hurt the ignition switch or slightly engage it if it is cracked or the return spring is weak. I second maineman's recommendation. $45 bucks at Audi and only get OEM. Piece of cake to install.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hubturn
And sorry about the girlfriend comments. I had a good story going there. If she has a ton of crap on her keychain, it can weigh down on the key and hurt the ignition switch or slightly engage it if it is cracked or the return spring is weak. I second maineman's recommendation. $45 bucks at Audi and only get OEM. Piece of cake to install.
No worries about the GF comments. I showed her and said this is why you need to tell me, even if you think i will get upset, if the car is acting weird. It all worked out and in the end we ended up with a little debt and a Honda CRV and i got my Audi back.

I will get the ignition switch and have it put it. Thanks for the recommendation.