1996 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Cabriolet

Hi. I'm new in here and I just got a pearl-white 1996 Cabriolet. I was going to flip it and grab a BMW but its such a rare car with a catchy color and a nice smooth ride, I've decided to keep it. Aside from the "boos" and making me eat in the corner, is there any general advice for care of my new baby? I know that I'm in for big $ on any maintenance and I'd love to be able to do 90% of it myself.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

First, swap out the automatic transmission fluid and ATF filter. When you refill, use 2 24oz. bottles of Lucas Automatic Transmission Stop-Slip, and the rest (+/- 3 quarts) Valvoline Max-Life ATF.

Second, replace every single flexible vacuum line you can. Even a small crack in a vacuum line can cause erratic running, poor gas mileage, and mysterious shifting.

If your top is functioning properly, you should gently WD-40 all of its hinges, making sure to hold a towel behind the hinge while spraying in order to avoid getting oil on the top fabric.

As for the cloudy rear window? The only product I've used that works well is 3M headlight lens renewal system. Don't bother trying to replace just the window if the clear plastic cracks. Bite the bullet, spend the $300, and get a new top from "DiamondMall" on ebay.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Loudgoldwing
First, swap out the automatic transmission fluid and ATF filter. When you refill, use 2 24oz. bottles of Lucas Automatic Transmission Stop-Slip, and the rest (+/- 3 quarts) Valvoline Max-Life ATF.

Second, replace every single flexible vacuum line you can. Even a small crack in a vacuum line can cause erratic running, poor gas mileage, and mysterious shifting.

If your top is functioning properly, you should gently WD-40 all of its hinges, making sure to hold a towel behind the hinge while spraying in order to avoid getting oil on the top fabric.

As for the cloudy rear window? The only product I've used that works well is 3M headlight lens renewal system. Don't bother trying to replace just the window if the clear plastic cracks. Bite the bullet, spend the $300, and get a new top from "DiamondMall" on ebay.
Great info - thanks! My tranny seems to have a 1-second pause between 2nd & 3rd so something is starting to give. This may help prevent a catastrophe. Also, my vacuum lines may explain why there's nothing happening with my cruise control. If not, step 2 on the cc will be the module. Can you tell me where that bugger is? Speaking of modules, I'm sure you've posted something about your VP-12 ECU Soft-Flash chip. If it saves gas, I'm there! Any specifics you recommend I should look up?