1998 Cabriolet Transmission Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cabriolet Transmission Filter Replacement

Good morning,

The tranny fluid pan on my '98 Cabby has no apparent drain plug. It does, however, have a 1-inch metal pipe screwed into the (U.S.) driver's side of the lower half of the pan.

Before I start unscrewing stuff... Am I taking a risk of creating a problem (leak)? I've never seen one of these set-ups before. I want to replace the filter... but it's solely for the reason of feeling better about having a new filter instead of a 12-year-old (65,000-mile) filter...

Has anybody run into this version of tranny fluid pan?
Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That style pan was mostly used on early 90's and I was fairly certainly it was eliminated on all 96+ Audi's.
You need to remove the dipstick tube [which will also be your fill] and drop the pan.
You might be able to just drop the pan with the tube attached angle wise but it's easier the first way.

Stay with the OEM pentosin fluid for less trouble, it's expensive but so it replacing an auto if you have to.

Your probably aware of the technique to do the filter and fill?
Refills are roughly 3qts you can add 2 and let it run till it's warm and then top off, one of the nicer reasons for the dipstick instead of the newer sealed units which have a fill plug.
Replace the pan gasket to stave off any potential leaks, torque in a X pattern and to torque spec which is only 7 pounds last I recall since the case is aluminum as well as the pan.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Loudgoldwing
Good morning,

The tranny fluid pan on my '98 Cabby has no apparent drain plug. It does, however, have a 1-inch metal pipe screwed into the (U.S.) driver's side of the lower half of the pan.

Before I start unscrewing stuff... Am I taking a risk of creating a problem (leak)? I've never seen one of these set-ups before. I want to replace the filter... but it's solely for the reason of feeling better about having a new filter instead of a 12-year-old (65,000-mile) filter...

Has anybody run into this version of tranny fluid pan?
The pipe that is screwed in to the side is the dipstick tube. You'll want to disconnect that ,then remove the fluid pan with a tub under to catch the fluid.replace the filter. egp 320i is correct on the torque .replace everything being careful when you reconnect the tube.My car used Mobil 1 synthetic.
This may be what you need.
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....006-B&cat=4300
good luck
Old 09-15-2010, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, that was an excellent answer, and I feel a bit foolish, as I seriously thought that pipe was the main supply or return for the whole transmission. Not something I wanted to mess with disconnecting/repositioning on a 12-year old vehicle. Thanks!

However... your Blauparts recommendation gave me pause...

{...walks out to the garage...returns... sits down...scratches head while reading the following passage on the back of a bottle of Valvoline MaxLife semi-synthetic tranny fluid...}

"Recommended for use in: - VW/Audi G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1"

I'm kinda curious whether VW/Audi allows Valvoline to put this statement on their bottle... I have to think that Valvoline would be opening themselves up for some pretty hefty lawsuits if VW/Audi didn't give them the "nod," as it were.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Those are older specs that were semi-synthetic. The OEM fill for Audi was actually semi-sythetic ESSO.

On the other side of your transmission are the two cooler lines, disconnecting those will bring you a mess.

The consensus around and I believe it's even at blua is red transmission fluid is not the correct type even if it is dexIII. It is just a red dye but it's hard to say.

The latest Pentosin is fully synthetic. I just did this job on a 97 A6q. It shifts great, smooth and quiet.

http://pentosin.net/f_transmissionfluid.asp

the ATF1 is the latest spec.

the VW/Audi fluid [made by Pentosin] is as expected even more expensive.

http://www.worldimpex.com/assets/partimages/037349.jpg

Valvoline probably does meet the DexIII requirement therefore if has the Audi approval number it passed.
Legally Audi cannot do anything if you do not use the OEM fluid even if under warranty if it meets their specs according to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Last edited by egp320i; 09-15-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

@egp320i:

I went to your link to look at the Pentosin fluid you recommended. Looking at the list of recommended usages, I copied the following:

Automatic Transmission Fluid - Pentosin ATF1 (synthetic oil based)
Part #: ATF1 1L (1058107)
Size: 1 liter (1.06 quarts)
Color: Light Brown
All ZF 3HP, 4HP, 5HP, & 6HP transmissions (green and black label)
Aston Martin
Audi (1996 on); G052162A2
Bentley
Jaguar (JLM20238)
Land Rover
Porsche (99991754700 or 00004320509)
Rolls Royce
Volkswagen (1996 on); G052162A2
Dodge Sprinter (all years)
Mercedes-Benz (suitable replacement for NAG 1 & NAG 2)

And the Max Life was: Audi/VW G-052-162-A1 (same as the Pentosin, but no "-"s and "A1" instead of "A2"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only difference between a "A1" and a "A2" is that A1 is a pint bottle, and A2 is a quart bottle.

Is there some place that tells you what the actual difference is between these different products? I've found people singing the praises of ESSO (Mobil1?), Max Life, Pentosin, RedLine and Royal Purple.

I'd REALLY like to know what the real differences are from brand to brand...
Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your correct:

G 052 162 A1 = 0.5 L bottle (approx. 1 pint)
G 052 162 A2 = 1.0 L bottle (approx. 1 quart)

ESSO was the OEM fill, basically European Mobil 1 and most likely the VW/Audi white bottle at the dealership.
Pentosin updated their forumla, the new ATF1 is full synthetic.
M1 is as well, max-life is not, it's a blend just like their oil.

Redline is good stuff but even more expensive then Pentosin unless you find a good deal.
RP makes very good oil for mostly racing applications, I am sure their trans fluid is good, maybe too slippery.

I just went ahead and coughed up the 15/L at AZ for 3.
Mine ended up taking about 3.25L, the tech I go to topped it off for free since I only gave him 3.
So I spent 45 bucks, new gasket, ring and filter for about 60 total and I am good for another 45-60K.

You might want to so a search on bobtheoilguy for those with Audi's who might have tried amsoil,redline or royal purple to get their thoughts and opinions on how it worked and if they had issues.

Pentosin is the safe bet but others should work. Pentosin works directly with ZF so their fluid should have the right slip properties and other properties to give trouble free shifting.

Shame they do not sell a 1 gallon jug with a pump, you might have some left over but it would be better priced then by the single bottle.