1st and 2nd gear i'm cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st and 2nd gear i'm cutting out

okay, most of the time when it happens (couple a times per week) its accelerating in 1st gear... the engine basically just seems to stop and somebody with less persistence would let go of the gas, but thats when i floor it and a couple of seconds later i slugishly come out of the stall..... now today it happened in 2nd gear as opposed to 1st...anybody have similar problems??? what am i lookin at expense wise???
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Fuel pump making any noises?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM

Default what kinda noises would the fuel pump make???

my stepdad said it could even be the injectors maybe?? and for some reason i got a feeling it could be the catylatic converter bein all plugged up any of those possibilities????
Old 08-25-2004, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, yeah, it ~could~ be all of those . .. . . .

the fuel pump would whine or groan - it's under the car near the passenger rear wheel.

The fuel injectors would (normally) be more consistent, not just when you accelerate. You can try cleaning them by adding a bottle of Chevron Techron and filling up with Chevron Premium (has Techron in it too). Techron really is effective.

Cat <i>could</i> be plugged. Do you have a strong exhaust gas flow at the tailpipe or does it sound "choked" 1/2 way under the car? Does the cat sound like a tin can full of gravel when you smack it with a wrench or your hand (cold)? If so, it's shot.

If you don't know when the fuel filter was changed last, I'd start there. Do the cheap stuff first: Fuel filter, then Techron, etc.

Or you could just have a bad vacuum leak -- these cars are known for that. Have you already checked all the little rubber lines under the hood? Replaced the air filter lately? Checked the crankcase breather tube - they can collapse and cause running problems.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if was a saab id say crank angle sensor...but other then that ISV maybe and below comments
Old 08-25-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Fuel pump/ Fuel filter I had a simular problem.

Have you ever ran out of gas? happens often? gasoline acts as the lubericant in the fuel pump, running out of gas can really ruin that.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:29 PM

ISV?? it isn't idleing when it happens.... but it should be cleaned anyways.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yah, ISV only affects idle - when the throttle plate is closed, ISV regulates air flow.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had a similar problem on my 80Q>>

and it turned out to be a faulty high tension wire-- the one running from the coil to center of the dist. cap. At night I could see it arcing to the cap itself. Replaced with a used one from parts car and it ran perfectly!

Something to check... just start going down the list you'll figure it out.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:25 PM

Default in reference to my exhaust....

i knew i would need a new exhaust since mines rusted and has some holes in it, but at first i didnt figure that'd be the culprit of my crappy running problem, so yeah i'll check tomorrow to see if the cat. sounds crappy when i bang on it and i'll try other various cheap fixes also.... thanks everybody for your help, by the way... sometimes the car sounds absolutely fine, other times (mostly when the accelerating problem happens) it sounds/feels like its "choked" a lil, maybe it means somethin, maybe not... just seems odd that the exhaust would cause problems only sometimes

Quick Reply: 1st and 2nd gear i'm cutting out