20v Cam Re-grinding

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20v Cam Re-grinding

Howdy! Anyone done this on a standard 20v set of cams? I just yanked the two extras out of the head the free head I grabbed last weekend. The cams look good and my car is up for a T-Belt/WP job if I don't go full out on the V8 swap shortly. So if I am doing the T-Belt it would be a perfect time to swap cams, so if having two cams re-ground isn't outrageous in price it may be a fun little experiment. Maybe port/polish and rebuild that extra head, appears that only 2 valves are damaged, but could be other problems that I am not seeing with the naked eye. 14:1 pistons, 034EFI new style fuel system, 105 octane, port/polish, hot cams, wonder what that could do to a 20v N/A

Cheers,
Old 08-23-2003, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Re: 20v Cam Re-grinding

Well, I did look into it with a local shop in my hometown. It takes a few weeks to do, and they would have to make a set of master/key cams. Total cost, including BUYING the masters was around $500. I may still do this as a "service" for fellow 20v'ers. Unfortunately, I don't have the $$$ to do so right now. But, if you want me to send my complete 7A head I just pulled to the cam people, let me know. A mechanic friend works with an engineer that has his own flow bench and software, so they could work out a nice profile. Not sure how much their time would be...
Old 08-23-2003, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What does "grinding" do? Remove material. ;O)

Most Audi cams will also need to be welded first, to add material to their lobes, so the grinding process, has enough material to remove, to end up with a set of cams, that actually do something!

Welding alters the cams metal properties, and the person performing the work, needs to know what he's doing!

If you shop around, you'll find welding & grinding costs nearly the same as a set of new cams!

IMO, better to just get a set of cams already to install, and not welded & ground.

Like from EuroSpec, or Schrick! ;O)
Old 08-23-2003, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Livi, Josh Leonti, has a set of re-grind cams for sale, shoot him an e-mail.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Didnt he change his name here to 'The Devil' ?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default So basically, your going to have someone who's never seen an Audi cam..........

modify one?

How does this person know exactly how to modify the Audi cams, for best gains?

Or is he going to "learn as he goes?"

Who's going to give-up their engine as the test Guinea Pig? ;O)

Warrenty?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe what you just said is how all new things start.

I believe having the technical knowledge to know how ANY multi valve engine reacts to higher lift/duration, centerline, etc is enough to start - after all - someone has to try it...........right?
Old 08-23-2003, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You willing to gamble your engine & money that the Audi-inexperienced machinist gets it right?

Especially when good 20V cams already exist, and are ready to install, with full warrenty. ;O)
Old 08-23-2003, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In my case, it would have to be hypothetical...

If I did have a 20v.... Perhaps. Like I said, all new things have a start somewhere. In VanGerbigs situation, if he's serious about making a hella insane compression engine, he'd need enormous cams to go with it - and since he has an extra pair to go along - why not try? If he can find someone who's good and doesn't charge him alot, might be well worth it. What's the worst that could happen? The car doesn't run good? Unless the grinder's on crack it's not likely the lobe is going to completely change it's position and put a piston into a valve. Cumon, Tip, this is wierd coming from a guy who's always dabbling in new fabriaction things for his car. Sounds unlike you :-)
Old 08-23-2003, 12:12 PM

yups :-) "boredom" inspired.

Quick Reply: 20v Cam Re-grinding