2wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd conversion

Has anyone converted their quattro to FWD for dyno purposes, or is at least familiar with what is involved in converting my '94 90 (manual) to FWD temporarily. After the AWD dyno breaking and my car not running correctly when I was at the Adrenaline Motorsport dyno, I don't want to drive down again to dyno my car. Plus I would rather do the conversion and spend 90$ per hour locally than spend 200$ per hour in the states.

Basically does it just involve removing the driveshaft, and replacing the center differential with welded unit? I have found a center diff for my car for 50$, the spider gears are damaged but it spins freely, can I weld it solid and use it for my purpose?
Old 04-03-2002, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: 2wd conversion

i think thats what some people do for scooby doo dyno testing. dunno if thatd work for the Q's or not...
Old 04-03-2002, 06:21 PM

Default I think that that will work

Once i had my front end on jack stands and accidently test started with the car in gear. It didnt move the front wheels turned but the rear didnt.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default solution..

if any wheel loses 100% traction, the entire quattro system has no power hence not moving..
only way to conver is to drop a new tranny. ditch the center shaft and torsen.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: solution..

Thats why I want to weld the torsen differential solid so it won't try to transfer any power to the rear wheels. I really don't want to buy a FWD transmission to do this as it will require more work and get expensive.
Old 04-04-2002, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torsen doesn't transfer 100% power, i think 75%

since the back is welded shut 25% of the power is gonna try to snap the shaft. a junkyard fwd tranny would cost no more than 200 dollars. in theory installing a $200 tranny and removing the center shaft would be a 2wd.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default AWD to 2WD Conversion

Hi;
I'm building a mid engined car and want to use a 2.7 or 4.2 engine/trans combo in either a auto/standard trans, street car so I can live with either. I do not want to weld anything but would prefere to use real Audi 2WD components to convert the transmission.
Is there anyone out there who has done this or bett yet canit be done? If not what 2WD tranmission should Ilook for na dwhat about the computer interface when going from a AWd to 2WD?
Any information from someone who has done this or a shop which CAN Do this would be appreciated.

Please,I don't need any dyno stories, but real honest information from someone who has done this and not opinions.

Thanks
Don
Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

im walking away while shaking my head in disappointment.

Don, i think your on your own on this, i dont think any of us have build a mid engine car out of Audi components, you might have batter luck on motorgeek.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Merkin
if any wheel loses 100% traction, the entire quattro system has no power hence not moving..
only way to conver is to drop a new tranny. ditch the center shaft and torsen.
If you are driving at a constant speed in a corner and the inside front wheel lifts up off the ground, there would be no power transferred to ANY? of the 4 wheels at that time ?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In general, for the older cars that's true.

In a car with a Torsen center and the rear unlocked, the max. torque that can be supplied to any wheel is about 3x that going to the wheel with the least traction.

In a car with lockers that are unlocked, the max is 1x that going to the wheel with the least traction.

In both cases above, if the traction of the wheel with the least traction is zero, the other wheels get no "go" because anything times zero is zero!

As you might expect, locking one or both diffs makes the equation more complicated.

Quick Reply: 2wd conversion