7A Rebuild Options/East Coast

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7A Rebuild Options/East Coast

Anyone feel so strongly about their local private Audi shop's ability to do a 7A rebuild (price/time taken into consideration)...that they would highly recommend them? East Coast/MidAtlantic only please. I have a great local shop, but they may be too booked to take on project right now. Just exploring my options...ready to drive the CQ there and leave it for a couple of weeks. Mostly stock rebuild in mind to get it purring like it was when new. Will do some minor "upgrades" ...may get some stuff from 034 to make it run better and last longer.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Please don't...

...reply with "DIY"....I could, but I can't. No space, and more importantly, no time!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Is the motor in need of rebuild? 7A's (any 5 cylinder for that matter) very rarely need rebulids.

From your post, you don't mention any specific failure (plus you mention that you can drive it), so I <i>assume</i> it's a good motor that you want to rebuild for the sake of rebuilding. If it does not have low compression numbers, or high leak down percentage, there is no reason to rebuild the motor. Your money is better spent rebuilding the suspension, new brakes all around and tending to other maintenance needs.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Sorry....

...I shouldn't have used "rebuild." An o2 sensor may solve most of my issues. The car is not a daily driver...its a car I want to keep for many years...for nostaglic reasons. It smokes bad at startup and after idle at stoplight...and is getting 17mpg on average. I also want to clean up the engine bay and replace small items that could be done easily during work. Not just looking to waste money, want the CQ to run great and I want to be preventative in my maintenance. I really don't have time to do anything but enjoy driving it a few days a month. In the perfect world, I would have a sweet 3rd car garage and an awesome set of tools (Ridgemont High!) and would work on it deep into the night with a case of Magic Hat at my side!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Rebuild the head, that will most likley cure your smoking problem.

Then jsut replace what needs to be replaced. Do a compelte tune up, get an 034 Motorsports Bosche injector kit, etc.

MAGIC HAT RULEZ!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd... when head is off have cylinders inspected, theyre prob OK.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

who's going to inspect the cylinder's for him? A cylinder doctor that makes house calls?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:41 AM

Default i rebuilt mine. lesson learned. should've 3b'd it. rebuilding 7a is a waste of money>>

everything is expensive. i broke a timing belt and figured, why not do the bottom end too. got in way to deep. 4-5k later, i have maybe 15% more HP... .040 over pistons, knife edged crank, head done, etc. overboard. could've turb'd it cheaper.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well he WAS looking for a decent machine shop on the east coast....

I figure if he finds one, they should be able to see if theres a ridge or scores?

maybe he has a capable friend to look once head is off?

he says he is busy, but maybe he can check it out himself once they get the head off and decide from there if he wants to have it bored/honed?

There are options out there, no need to be a wise-***.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, I agree 7A rebuild should always include....

either lower comp. pistons or thicker head gasket, turbo manifold, and a different intake manifold....

Quick Reply: 7A Rebuild Options/East Coast