Was 80q barely runs. Now weird results from FI computer output tests

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was 80q barely runs. Now weird results from FI computer output tests

Sorry I started a new thread, the problem seems to be evolving.

Early 88 apparently, with the fuse socket in the top of the fuel pump relay. FP relay and connectivity all tests ok.

Ignition computer and FI computer both report no error codes after cranking for several seconds and leaving the key on. Engine won't start, so that's the best I can do.

When I run the output tests for the fuel injection computer, by putting a fuse in the top of the fuel pump relay, turning the car on, waiting 4 sec. and removing the fuse, I get weird results. Three of the tests are abnormal, but in the same way.

differential pressure regulator (little grey plastic piece screwed to the front side of the fuel distributor): current is immediately 10mA, as it should be when the full-throttle switch is closed, but the switch isn't closed. When I close the switch, nothing happens. I've checked the switch, the idle switch, and the wiring from the ECU to the switch. (Current is supposed to be 100mA with the switch open, 10mA with it closed. Mine is 10mA all the time.)

Carbon canister solenoid: As above. It immediately acts as though the full-throttle switch is closed, but the multimeter confirms that the switch is not closed.

Idle Stabilization Valve: Same deal.

Cold start injector: And this is the weird part. This one tests normal. When I get to this test, nothing happens. When I close the full-throttle switch, the cold start injector clicks as it's supposed to.

So, does anyone know something the ISV, emissions solenoid and mixture regulator have in common that they don't share with the cold start injector?

I've checked the coolant temp sensor, and done all the housekeeping stuff (vacuum leaks, grounds, etc.) and replaced the knock sensor (the old one looked horrible, and fell apart as I took it off, but the new one didn't help.)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shop says: valve timing off by one tooth, distributor bits (not cap) cracked, and differential pressure regulator shot. And it needs a starter. But at least I knew about that last one.