92 A80q starter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 A80q starter trouble

I took in the car to have some muffler work done. When it was time for work I noticed that it was harder to start than usual. When it was time to start it for the drive home I was barley able to get it to start. The next day I couldn't start the car at all I could hear the starter spinning but It was not making any contact since the starter in it right now is less than a year old I took it out and tested it with jumper cables it was engaging and spinning. then I just hooked it to the negative and positive wires in my car to watch if the car was doing the same, it still was engaging and spinning when hooked up. So I re installed the whole starter and still got nothing starter is spinning but it's not spinning the starter wheel. The starter was still under warranty so I took it in to try and get a new starter. They tested it at the store and it tested fine the teeth still look good and everything so they would not give me a new starter. So I double checked a couple of things in my car and once again re installed the starter made sure the two bolts holding the starter in were very tight. went to go start it and still nothing starter is spinning at full speed but not making contact with the starter wheel. I went to try and maybe move the flywheel by push starting the car It was barley rolling and it started fine. I turned the car off and went to re start it a just got the same spinning sound and could not get the car to start. I've ran out of ideas on what could be wrong hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this whole mess any help would be great. Another thing I can add about my car is that it's key has always got stuck if you turn the key all the way to the right it gets stuck and just grinds up the starter to prevent this all you have to do is click it back some so it's at an angle. Most mechanics I take it too even when told about that problem still grind the starter up maybe that part has finally gave up and needs to be replaced. Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

First replace the ignition switch and if that doesn't cure the problem, then check ignition switch wire connected to the starter solenoid.

Review this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWG6...eature=related

Last edited by audiqv8; 05-09-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is some junk built up on the red positive wire that connects to the starter. It looks like the same stuff that can build up on batteries. holdful cleaning up that will help.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got a new ignition switch. I need some help on replacing it.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also Starter keeps testing fine even when hooked up the the car but when I fully install it I just get spinning and no contact. The starter passed all the test in the video that was linked to me.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like the Ignition switch just slides out but I can get the old one out and get the new one in.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tywilson
Also Starter keeps testing fine even when hooked up the the car but when I fully install it I just get spinning and no contact. The starter passed all the test in the video that was linked to me.
Get a volt meter and test the ignition wire (the one you just cleaned) to verify that it is getting 12 volts.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Both Wires are spending out 12 volts. The teeth on the starter and flywheel still look fine no flat spots on the flywheel. I have moved the flywheel a couple of times to see if it did have a flat spot I could get out of it. I will try to get the warranty on the starter again if I can't get it I will be buying a new starter first thing next week.