93 90s is overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 90s is overheating

Hi all, I'm new at the forum and a rookie when it comes to working on an Audi. My 93 90s is overheating when I drive it around town. It's fine on the freeway usually keeping the temp below the first thick hash mark, but goes all the way to a blinking temp light when in traffic or stop and go in town. I replaced the timing belt, water pump and thermostat a couple months ago and did the thermostat test on it the other day, and yes the hose nearly burned my hand. The fans come on in both high and low speeds and the fuses all look good. Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what the problem might be.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you mix the two types of coolant (pink and green)??
Old 02-04-2003, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Did you mix the two types of coolant (pink and green)??

When I replaced the water pump I drained most the existing coolant and not knowing I put the green back in. I got the car from a dealer who filled it with the green coolant so I thought until last week when I started reading some postings that green coolant was supposed to be used. Right now it is 99% green.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Did you mix the two types of coolant (pink and green)??

No real difference except the rust inhibitors.

I did always wonder what "phosphate free" ment though.

Are they all/most "phosphate free"??<ul><li><a href="http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2000/August/08.html">http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2000/August/08.html</a</li></ul>
Old 02-04-2003, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Phosphate free means it contains no phosphates ;-).....

Actually that's very important on cars with alumimum engines. Phosphates will react with the aluminum block/heads and cause pitting.

Another thing to look out for is silicates. Silicates is what is generally used as "grit" on sand paper. It can wear on waterpump blades and create drag.

You have to check the coolant you buy. Some of them still contain the items listed above.

And finally, NO you can't mix the two. They react and lose there cooling properties and in some instances will "gel" over time eventually plugging your radiator.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Mine does the same thing.

With forum's help I tend to suspect auxiliary radiator switch.I was also advised to do a full coolant flush with running the radiator cleaner in the system for about 6 hours then filling with Audi/VW G 11-blue coolant
Old 02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Does the rad-fan come on with the a/c?
Old 02-04-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Simple test

Start the car and let it idle as the temp comes up. When the temp gauge is about 1/2 way, the fans should come on low speed. At that point, the temperature should start to drop. If the temperature continues to climb, you probably have air trapped in the system somewhere, air flow blockage, a partially blocker radiator or fans spinning in the wrong direction. If the temp light in the gauge blinks, you're overtemp. The fans should be on high. Proper direction draws air front to back, through the radiator and condenser.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Does the rad-fan come on with the a/c?

The fan comes on with the ac and will also come on when the temp gauge gets just past strait up.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Simple test

Thanks, I'll give those a check tonight.

Quick Reply: 93 90s is overheating