95 Cabriolet drivers door won't open. It seems like it's unlocking but the door won't open...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Cabriolet drivers door won't open. It seems like it's unlocking but the door won't open...

I did a seach and found that others have experianced this problem, but I didn't find any solutions. Also, the key is stuck in the ignition... I'm not sure if the two problems are related.

I've owned my 93 90 for 10 years and do most of the repairs on it myself, but the Cab is my Mom's new car so I'm not as familar with them as she's only owned it for 1 week now.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Possibly the latch mechanism. The latch (spring) broke on the '98 and the door wouldn't shut..

If a lever or cable or something inside the latch/door broke, it wouldn't open.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My door would stick but not be still latched...the ignition however is a constant problem...

there is a lot of play in the switch and the key easily gets caught on an edge if not perfectly aligned pulling it out. Replacing it is about all you can do. You have to otherwise just jiggle it around till it aligns and lets go. That was a recall part early in the cars life for ignition/electrical problems...I had 4 in my car. Last one really sticks as you describe.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Was the key sticking due to the ignition switch (electical) or the key cylinder?

I've replace the ignition switch in my 93 90 several times and it's a simple job, but I'm not sure if that's what's causing the key to stick in the Cabriolet. I think it might be the key lock or something.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seems to be the top of the key cylinder...the new ignition switches had a new top or ever how

you want to describe the actual slot that the key goes into or the cylinder starting to not align as the key is in the remove position...seems to hang up on the new slot that is out of alignment with the cylinder if I had to guess...so not sure personally if it is the same cylinder transplanted into new switches and never looked at it that carefully...only stuck with the last one where the entire ignition switch does not seem to quite sit properly in the opening.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds weird

keep trying to get door open. Its a mechanical process. If the latch is not letting go I'm not sure how to open your door. You will definitely need a new latch mechanism. I'm assuming you tried to open from both inside and outside the car. If so then the latch is faced down onto the bolt latching it to the car. That latch needs to come up somehow. I'm not really giving any resolve here more or less trying to state things to help me think. Maybe try removing the inside door handle. Grabbing the cable with two pairs of pliers, one on the plastic cover, one on the cable end and pull as hard and much as you can. Maybe the cable will latch harder releasing the door just enough for you to push it open. Not sure though. Worth a shot IMO.