96 Audi Cabby engine replacement question... What goes in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Audi Cabby engine replacement question... What goes in?

Um, so if the engine to a cabriolet is totally dead, and not worth repair, what options do I have for a 100% direct fit engine, including sensors?

What about if I take and transfer all the sensors over and keep the stock wiring?

What about a "just about" plug in engine option that may be an upgrade (I.E. 3.0/3.2)

My assumption here is that the 96 is the first year of OBDII and it might have different sensors/wiring than previous versions of the V6, but be mechanically compatible if you swap over wiring/sensors to the new motor form a pre 96 car. My second assumption is that a motor from a Pre-97(8 for the wagon) C4 would work, and also that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to swap in the C5's version of the V6 as the block is incredibly similar, unless I'm mistaken on that part.

Thanks all, maybe I'll get this project in my lap sooner than later.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

find another 12v V6! that is the only direct swap!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your assumption is correct. The '96 and '97 motors are OBD II, so there are differences between them and the pre-'96 engines. If you want a motor in which you won't have to change pretty much anything, get a 96-97 motor from a C4 Audi A6. Now if you were to come across a cheaper 96-97 A4 12v motor, don't turn away from it, it's not that big of a deal to swap everything over from your motor over to the A4 motor, just takes more time and patience, there is quiet a bit of stuff to swap over. And to make life easier, get a motor from a car with the same transmission as your car. Just refer to my "swapped in 12v from A4" thread for information.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ow yeah, good point, if its an auto, you need a motor from an auto, i dont think you can press in that bushing at the end of the crank
Old 09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Huh? The bushing can be ordered from Audi, or you can (carefully) pull it from the original engine and transfer it.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

have you tried pulling that thing out?! there is no carefully removing it!!! i had to drill, cut, grind mine away! you maybe able to press that sucker in, but good luck without having the crank out!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOL dude, the spigot bearing is pressed into the crank. The only "careful" way of pulling it is to remove the crank and to take it to a shop which has a hydraulic puller to remove it, or a press to put it back in.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Er, actually yes I have with the crank in the block, engine on my hoist. I've had my share of engines out.

It's called a good pilot bearing puller and good slide hammer, to get the brass bushing out with some elbow grease, you can't be impatient. You don't need a press to put them back in if you have access to a large brass drift and a ballpein. "Just tap it in..."
Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's pressed in? Really? Man, what was I thinking...

I KNOW it's pressed in. A good bearing puller with a good heavy slide hammer will get them out with the possibility to reuse, assuming they come out straight and don't get nicked up so they maintain their interference fit. Check tolerances before re-using.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i would really love to c someone trying to remove that sucker as you guys are describing it. maybe a shop can do it if the crank is out, but other then that, cut it is the only option that i found out to be successful.

Quick Reply: 96 Audi Cabby engine replacement question... What goes in?