96 POWER ROOF PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 POWER ROOF PROBLEM

Hey guys i know it was discussed here before but all the information i could find didn't help me . I have a 1996 Audi cabriolet and the roof won't work . I unlock it ,push the button and it moves about and inch or two and thats it . I tried manually opening it and i got it completely open with the latch closed but now it won't close either .When the button is pushed i could hear the motor working for a few seconds and then it stops and the light flashes . I repaired all the broken wires at the truck lid and checked the sensors i could find ,check resistance at the solenoids , checked power at pump , checked fuses and it is all good . ANY IDEAS ?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

enough fluid in the pump? any leaks?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

no leaks , and pump is full . I checked all fuses , relays , pumps works with full power around 12 v . When button is pushed the top moves a few inches and then stops . either way up or down . I repaired all the wires in the trunk lid area and rechecked a second and third time and all the wires are good . I have three scanners but none works on this car .
Old 05-31-2009, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are the windows coming down 15cm when you activate the switch? That's the first step in the sequence, which you did not mention. By the way, the '96 has a vag-com connector underneath the rear ashtray. This would probably be a good place for you to start, since that would point out where in the top lowering sequence you are having the problem. Find somebody with a vag-com and your life will be simpler.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Speaking of a full "pump" - I would take it this means the hydraulic fluid container located under the hood on the drivers side of the car is full of hydraulic fluid? If this is the case - can anyone recommend a proper type and location to purchase of said hydraulic fluid?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

the pump we are speaking of is the power roof top pump ,and that is located in the trunk ..
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

if i can't get this roof to operate with the switch can i convert it to manual or at least open and close it manualy ? does any body have a clue ?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

you can open it manually, thats what i do because my switch is messed up, for now.

first step is to turn the top handle, the windows will lower.

2nd lift the front up a lil so the rear "pops up" then you can access the hard toneau cover, try and balance it and the top with your elbow or get a friend to help.

3rd lift the cover up and put the top back up a little bit so the rear will be able to go down but not all the way.

4th as you are putting the top back make sure you dont crease the window by flattening it out and ease it back and make sure nothing is snagging as it is going down

5th put the lid back down and once again make sure nothing is snagging

6th enjoy the reason you bought this car!!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

You will be happier in the long run if you fix this. There is a manual called "The New Audi Cabriolet" that discussed the top and is probably the only document that does so. It is Service Training Self-Study
Program 221. There is one on ebay right now. Or, private message me and I'll email you PDF's of the appropriate pages. But again, you have the advantage of having a '96 and can take it to a garage and get them to print the code from the OBD I system located underneath the rear ashtray. Otherwise, you are trouble shooting in the blind like those of us with a
'95 who don't have that. Manually to close it, you also have to unlock the latches per the owners manual. Here's the page.
Attached Images