'98 Cabriolet Power Antenna mast replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Cabriolet Power Antenna mast replacement

Hey guys,

Bought a replacement antenna mast with the serrated cord that raises and lowers the antenna. My antenna motor makes the grinding noise on power-up and power-down, but the antenna is bent, so it doesn't go anywhere.

I tried to do a search to figure out how to get the current mast and cord out, but the search isn't working.

I can tell you that I got the entire motor and mast popped out of place, and I got the nut that appears to hold the current mast in place unscrewed. But even with that nut off, I can't seem to get the mast out. I don't want to just yank on the thing, because even though it doesn't move and is kinda nasty looking, it is functional.

Have any of you guys replaced your antenna?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Assuming that you currently have the stock antenna in place, after you remove the trunk liner, and remove all the screws holding it in place, you pull down on the antenna body and it will slide out of the rubber grommet that sticks up from the fender. The grinding noise that you hear is the clutch mechanism of the of the spool that the antenna mast cable rides on. That noise is normal. Take it apart and inspect the large gear to determine if it is really shot or if you only need a new antenna mast ($45 at Audi). If the gear is shot, install your replacement and tell us how it goes. I haven't found a good replacement and wish to know how yours does. The large gear may look normal, but the teeth may be chewed out inside where the small metal drive gear mates with it. Here's a photo.
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Hub, but...

I have a replacement mast already, as it sounds like the "zip strip" has failed. What I'm trying to find out is... How do I remove the mast from the motor assembly? Once I remove the 16mm nut that appears to hold the mast in place, the mast still feels tightly mated into the assembly. Does it just "Yank" out? or is there something else down in the motor that I need to unscrew or something?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Again, assuming that you have a stock antenna, and that you have removed it from the car, you must take it apart. Four screws at the four corners of the box shape. It will be full of white grease, so wipe that all out. When it is all apart you will see a spool that the antenna cable fits inside and locks in place with a flat spot on the antenna cable. The antenna cable is solid plastic and is smooth. There are no teeth on this cable. The spool has a series of holes in an aluminum clutch mechanism that rides inside the spool. There are prongs on the other side of the big gear in my previous post that fit into these holes. When the antenna is at maximum up or down, the big gear continues to turn and the aluminum clutch slips inside the inner diameter of the spool. That is the zip strip noise that you hear. In short, start taking it apart until you see these gears. The black top of the antenna screws off and the antenna will slide out once it is all apart. If you don't have an audi part number on the antenna assembly, it isn't stock and you are on your own. If you didn't buy the replacement mast from Audi, it's not going to work correctly (in my opinion).
Old 04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent Hub, that's exactly what I needed. The mast I bought is aftermarket, and though it says it is for a '98 Audi Cabriolet, it is obvious from your description of what I SHOULD have that it is not.

I will return it immediately and get an OEM mast. Thanks!

In the interim, it seems that the unscrewing of the top of my current mast will allow me better access to the innards. Thanks for that explanation as well!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 96 cab with the same antenna problem. This is the second gear I have gone through. I was lucky to get a gear body used from Antennaworld in florida, but is the last one he had and now they no longer deal with auto antennas.
Does any one know where to get a replacement drive gear?

The guy at Antennaworld that someone in Ireland is molding them, but he never got back to me with contact info.

Can anybody help?

dan
Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

lean on that guy at antenna world until he gives up the info. I tried to mold my own gear and just wasted time and money. I'd like to know if you get solid info on a replacement gear.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, I meant to add that what I have done is do a search for used parts, like door panels, and then you know if the junk yard has the body. Then call them up and ask for the antenna with the caveat that if the gear is stripped it gets returned, or make them take it apart and feel the gear to see if it has the worn spot. I've done this twice now.