Another 20v Crankcase Pressure/PCV Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 20v Crankcase Pressure/PCV Question

Has anyone had crankcase pressure problems but still had a breather pipe that was clear? I pulled the breather pipe off and there was hardly any buildup at all so I pried the round cap off the crankcase. At the bottom of the chamber there was hole about 1/4 in diameter. This hole was clear as I could feed a wire down into the crankcase about 4 or 5 inches. Is this the only hole in the chamber? I've read other posts that mention a hole with a screen but I could not see where it was.

I'm not sure what else could be causing pressure to build besides bad rings, but the engine has had a compression test and no problems there. The breather pipe extension to the intake hose was also clear. Is there a PCV valve on this engine? I've heard conflicting information on that. If anyone has cleaned out that chamber before or has had problems like this please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the pipe that goes from the intake manifold to the crankcase breather there is a "flame deflector plate"

should look like the one on the left, probably looks like the one on the right.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The breather pipe that runs behind the engine connecting the air boot to the curved breather pipe does not have that part on my car. It also is not in the curved breather pipe either. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Is the screen in the breather chamber on the side of crankcase?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

on the 7a, coming out of the crank case on the drivers side of the engine there is a three way split hose. normally the split is a rubber hose that has failed, or it could be a metal upgraded pipe. the three parts of that go 1 to the crank case 2 a small line that goes to the intake manifold, and 3 a medium size hard pipe that runs along the back side of the engine and inserts into the intake rubber hose. On the crank case side of that 3rd pipe i talked about inside of it is the flame thing I was talking about... I just removed it from two different pipes in the last week.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Images or drawings are hard to find...

Can anyone else help?

http://www.audifans.net/ftopicp-164941.html
Attached Images   

Last edited by Lago Blue; 08-09-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for clarifying. I have the metal pipe but when mine was upgraded from the rubber breather hose the spark arrestor was left out for some reason. It's been running fine for five years that way.

The weird thing is my breather pipes are all clear though so I can't figure out why I'm still getting high pressure from the crankcase. I posted some pictures to show where I think the problem is.

The first picture shows the cap that the breather connects to on the crankcase, it's right below the yellow vacuum hose. When you remove the cap you can see the chamber I talked about in the first post. The second pic shows the chamber but the only vent I can see is what appears to be a drain about 1/4 in diameter at the bottom (6 o'clock). This hole is clear. At about 10-11 o'clock there is another passage that goes back towards the crankcase but I can't tell if it's actually a vent or if it's just a hollow cavity in the casting. If that is a vent I'm not sure how you'd clean it out.
Attached Images   
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default As in your 1st photo, with the cavity-cap installed...

that may allow you to attach a hose and adapter to do a vacuum test to confirm that from there down is clear.

Could you please describe what indications of "high pressure from the crank-case" you are getting?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After the engine warms up it begins to surge and oil starts bubbling out of the valve cover gasket. Oil in the distributor cap is another indicator.

Also I'm not sure if this is related but there is significant power loss and it runs extremely rich. This problem also started recently but the car has been sitting for over a month.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Surge, CC gasket; & Distributor cap oil...

By "surge", do you mean engine rpm changing up & down by itself?

By "valve cover gasket", do you mean the black rubber gasket that seals the cam-cover to the top of the head?

Might you have cleared your vent hose obstruction when you removed it?

If you unseat your dip-stick does the oil stop bubbling out?

Is the power loss from the oil in the distributor cap?