another question on my 88

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default another question on my 88

according to the bentley its alot of extra work to replace valve guides and seals. the camshaft has to be taken out and of course special tools used to both take out and replace the guides and seals along with alot of new nuts, washers, etc. I am trying to figure what $ labor wise this would be since this is somewhat secondary to the head gasket they will be replacing. I probably should call and confirm what exactly they are replacing for the quoted price to see if they intended to replace the seals anyways since it comes in the kit they told me to buy.
technically the head could be taken off and a new head gasket put on without ever taking the valve cover off to do any work, thus cutting down expense alot I would think. The only good think I can think of is that this work could be done at a later date since it only requires removing the valve cover to access the valve tops.
if you are only replacing the valve guides and seals and not the valves themselves the head should not have to be removed, correct? Just wondering if i could wait to have a mild uppper engine rebuild if the guides, seals etc are still in decent workable shape.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:27 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Not true

The valve cover must come off to access the head bolts to remove the head.

To change valves guides, the valves must come out, which requires removing the head. Valve seals can be done with the head in place.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:29 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default getting the head bolts out with valve covers on would be a great trick!!

and you cannot replace guides with head on the car. Nor can you replace seals with springs, retainers, keepers or lifters and cam(s) in the head.

You can replace seals with heads on car but it aint the easiest project that ever rolled down the pike and you need a compressor and air hose with spark plug port threaded end to keep valves seated while doing it and every cylinder your working on at the top (tho TDC isnt a requirement) to keep the valves from falling into the cylinder while trying to separate the keepers from the retainer/stem assembly. And you'll need an "on-car" valve spring compressor which will set you back at/near $110+ shipping.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:36 AM
No Bozos!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve seals and guides

And you would get the head bolts out how?

Valve guides are a fairly labor intensive job. Unless you've had some severe wear problem, you can most likely get away without having them done.

Valve stem seals however, are an easy job, and not terribly expensive for the parts either. You'd be foolish to have the head off, and not do them. You can do them with the head on, but it's infinitely easier with it off.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default to note, its a 4 cylinder

so basically valve guides which normally should have little wear are not really needed but seals are. in order to get to the seals the cam, spring and retainers have to come out also though right?
the head will be to get a new head gasket but trying to cut the fat out of things that are not absolute to replace.
so far my list is:
exhaust and intake seals, new head bolts, head gasket and that was it for absolutely needed.
secondary: I was going to have the timing belt replaced since its been over 45k since last and I am not positive on its condition and its right there so hardly nothing involved.
I was thinking of a new waterpump also although its not leaking and the car ran cool plus its not difficult to replace at a later date.
the work is being done by a local vw/audi dealership so thus whatever I can cut out that is not needed labor wise will save money.
as yucatan stated, its a 88 4 banger, If i can get even another 50k its worth it (the car is drove a max of 5k a year)
being its old and hardly driven chucking money into every little thing is not too wise.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh, another thing I forgot

does the cam have to come out to get to the head bolts because then new washers, nuts etc will be needed once its put back in. I have a bentley but its rough on showing exactly where the head bolts are located and I actually can't tell.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Guru

Default In that case,

I would do the valve seals. Once the head is off and the cam is out to do the seals, if will be easy to see if you need guides (unlikely).
Old 07-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Tech Guru

Nope. Headbolts are accessible with cam in.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the seals at least. As mentioned - it's a pain to do them with the head on the engine.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default machining question to anybody that has done it

to put in a new head gasket is the head the only thing that is machined or is the block also?
do they usually take out all valves, stems etc or can they machine a head with everything intact?

Quick Reply: another question on my 88