"Anti-Lock Off" Stalled my car's engine!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Anti-Lock Off" Stalled my car's engine!!!

As usual, everything happens on an Audi without warning: AS I was driving yesterday, my Anti-lock off light iluminated. Within a matter of minutes, my car was stalling, like it was losing fuel????
Is this a typical symptom when this light turns on???
I've read other posts which tells you to replace fuse and possibly relay for anti lock, but checked both and they are fine. Is it the ABS sensors???? I've priced them and they seem expensive. Any suggestions where I can get them cheaper than $100.00? Most are over $150.00
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

No answer from anyone so I did my own troubleshooting: For now, I've unplugged the relay to the ABS and car's working fine, just no ABS. I even noticed that my car runs quieter and better! Weird Audi thing I guess. When I have a chance, I'll jack my car and ensure that all four ABS sensors are free of dirt!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you may just need to replace the ABS relay... but honestly, not too sure
Old 07-02-2010, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a short in the ABS relay. Moisture got in there, something corroded, and you now have metal bits rattling around bridging +'s and -'s that shouldn't be touching.

That unit is wired hot enough that when it's shorting, youyr coils can't even get enough juice to fire the plugs properly. Get it switched out right away. If you don't, your next issues will be with the voltage regulator, and then your alternator.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

dang:-) got to love our cars sometimes:-)) but good info to know:-)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. So far, disconnecting the relay has kept the car running "normally". I have noticed that the brakes now feel heavier. Is this a normal thing when ABS is off?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Simply disconnecting the relay de-activates the power assist for your brakes entirely. The brakes still work, but you really would be better off buying a new relay ASAP.

Here's a link to the part being listed on ebay... $35

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the ebay listing, but my relay has eight prongs. Again, for now I've decided to keep the relay off. Have had no problems since then. I've also read other posts where some guys have purchased the B3 without this relay and the car has worked fine. I'm hoping this will be the case for me until I can purchase a new relay...
Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Brakes work just fine in a B3 with the ABS disabled... whether you disable by removing fuses, or relays, or disconnecting electrical, or removing the ABS module and reworking the hydraulic brake lines.

For example... my '88 90q has no ABS... module is there, but relays are removed. Brakes work perfectly.

My old '88 rally beater... module was removed all together, and the lines were replumbed to work without the ABS. (needs a couple minor tweaks)
Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks dtompsett!

Feel much better with your input. Is it normal for the car brakes to feel "heavier" without the ABS? It takes (seems like) a little longer for brakes to grasp without ABS. Also, will it make a difference in the snow?

Your opinion please!

Quick Reply: "Anti-Lock Off" Stalled my car's engine!!!