Any sunroof guru's here? MikTip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any sunroof guru's here? MikTip?

Sorry for posting this here, but Im at whits end with my sunroof! Ive posted stuff everywhere, and havnt gotten a clear answer.
When should the sunroof motor be placed in the car after sunroof stuff has been taken apart? I think that may be part of the reason for my scraped up sunroof panel. Where the surnoof stops should be flush with the roof, but mine stops when its still tilted, which is odd.
Any info on this silly thing? Somebody here has gotta know a thing or 2 about sunroofs
Help! Pictures available upon reguest too, Ill do anything to get this sucker fixed.

Mike
Old 09-04-2004, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: sunroof

The Audi sunroof can be tricky. You need to match the roof panel with the motor. Then all the compoments need to be operating correctly and not worn, for the sequence to function correctly and consistantly.

From the Audi Factory Repair Manual(B4 90):

Sunroof motor "Neutral" position, checking and adjusting

Checking

The sunroof motor is in the "Neutral" position is when the hole and the lug are aligned as shown (arrows).

Adjusting

With drive installed:

- Open roof panel 50 mm (2 in.) toward rear, then close again.

Do not tilt upward, otherwise adjustment will be incorrect.

- Disengage cable drive from sunroof motor by turning release lever -B- in direction shown (left arrow).
- Insert "crank" or hex key -A- (4 mm) into drive pinion, and turn to right until pin on switch latches into cam plate recess (arrow).
Lug and hole (illus. 60-421, page Page 60-18 ) must align.

Note:

"Neutral" position on cable drive can only be adjusted after turning drive pinion to right.

- Engage cable drive to sunroof motor by turning release lever -B- in direction opposite arrow.

Checking end position cut-off

With the roof panel closed:

- Open roof panel toward rear until motor shuts off (10 rotations of rack wheel).
In this position, it must be possible to disengage the motor from the gear using lever -A-.

If the motor cannot be disengaged:

- Check parallel running and adjust if necessary.

Any chance you have the Bentley for your model of Audi? ;O)
Old 09-04-2004, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, Ive got the Bentley

But honestly, it hasnt proved helpful, it doesnt even mention the sunroof motor in there. This is why I asked on the forums. All the parts are in working order and look fine. Just wasnt sure if there was a certain spot where the roof had to be in order to install the motor.
Im gonna go fiddle with it more, and yeah, these roofs are tricky, Ive spent tons of time with them, and still am in the dark

Mike
Old 09-04-2004, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Basically..........

The motor and roof need to be synced up.

Yes there is a spot where the motor needs to be and the roof needs to be at. You need to find this spot. Might be full open? Fully closed, or tilted forward. I cannot say for certain, as my 1993 90 sunroof probably differs from your 4000's.

If I were sitting there, looking at your 4000's sunroof, I could probably figure it out? ;O)
Old 09-05-2004, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I came to that conclusion myself...

Im gonna ask the tech what he things, him being an old school Audi guru.
I looked at the roof more and fiddled with a few more things, but I just dont get it. Its just been an ongoing/frustrating thing that I get around to working on when I get bored.
Thanks alot for the input!

Mike
Old 09-05-2004, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

heh my screwed up my roof too.... it was such a pain..
Old 09-05-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof synching (long)

Okay, this may not be the most elloquent answer but I'll try to be clear. I recently went from crank handle power to motorized in my 80 and had to figure this out myself.
1) get the roof into what you believe to be the closed position. About 1 mm above the roofline in the rear and about 1 mm below the roof line in the front. (a crank handle makes this pretty easy)
2. Remove the two screws that hold the motor and drop it down so it is not engaging the sunroof opeating cable.
3) Now you can operate the motor and find the neutral position. This is where if you push closed it will make a short run that would push up the back of the roof and stop, then activating the reverse button will bring it back a short ways, stop and then if you release and push the back button again it will move to the full open posistion. Now just activate the motor forward again until it stops and you've found neutral.
4) Screw the motor back in place and try it out. This will probably take some trial and error, but overall relatively easy.

Good Luck
Old 09-12-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to go through all this if you just take the motor out and put it back in?