anyone ever get grief from customs bringing used parts across the border?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever get grief from customs bringing used parts across the border?

from USA to Canadastan.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:21 AM

Ha! Try bringing in stuff from Europe! You'd be eating Advil by the bottle.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They ask for the value and you pay duty and gst(about 14%)
Old 03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default While I'm sure this is true, it doesn't answer my question

I've got someone coming down from Montreal this weekend to pick up some stuff from me, and she asked if I thought there would be any problems at the border when she returns.

VanCity boys and input?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so does she need something from me saying how much she paid?

how do they assess a value on used parts?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From my experience

Some people say they do not declare what they have and get through without paying. A payment slip with price from the seller will be handy, but is not necessary. She can just tell them what it is worth, and hopefully they wil l not give her trouble.
I usually just tell them what I have and how much it is worth, and they have not charged me any of these taxes yet. Even when I had a $150 B4 hood in the back of my mom's minivan.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

cool. thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Former Vendor

Default Write a bill of sale for the items...

and write a value that is fitting for the items. If she gets asked at the border she can show them the bill of sale and they will go from there.

I've heard of folks crossing and having the customs officer get a bug in their rear to have the seller contacted to confirm the value of the items. With a bill of sale that is way less likely to happen. We recently had someone come pick up a 2.0 16v twin carb motor and gave him a bill of sale for their trip back to Canada, no issue at the border.

Cheers,
Old 03-04-2005, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i just brought a slightly broken B4 bumper back... wuz "hassled" at the window, but inside was cool

here's an exurpt:

Window-"bringing anything back with you today?"

QP- "nothing, other than this old bumper."

Window- "What's the value of it?"

QP- "oh, i dunno, my cousin had it laying in his shop and said I could have it. It's probably worth about $10, moreover I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it."

Window- "$10!?! is that accurate? sounds pretty low."

QP- "welllllll, i really have no idea. but I wouldn't pay anymore than $10 for it."

Window -"well we need an accurate market valuation for it, because for all I know you could resell it for $200 up here and make money. That's not gonna fly with me, so go inside and see the desk agents."

So I go inside, no biggie, just wasn't sure what they'd say when the look at the bumper and at the same time see a half dozen other new & used car related items in my trunk which I never made mention of. But oh well, i don't really care, so I go inside.

QP- "the nice window guy served me with this."

Inside- "what is it?"

QP- "it's a front bumper from an old Audi."

Inside- "oh yea...? so why do you claim only $10 value?"

QP- "it's cracked all the way thru at one end and one of the headlight washer nozzles is broken off."

Inside- "so what do you intend for this busted up bumper then?"

QP- "i don't know. my dad told me to pick it up from my cousin's, it's a project for his Audi. I think he's gonna trash the fibreglass cover, chop the rebar shorter, and use it for his project Audi. I think he needs it shorter so he can fit the side-mount intercoolers."

Inside- "k, cya."

so yea, bitches. other than that I've never had a problem. Even when I brought my S2 seat back, it was clearly visible sticking thru the back seats, and again I said I'm not bringing anything back and the guy didn't mention the seat. So oh well, my guess is that it's hit & miss. BUT, more personal friends @ the window would really help the situation.

check yah later
Old 03-05-2005, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A receipt will save tonnes of hassle. They have even checked Ebay.com for proof of purchase price

for auctioned items. I just pay the tax and sleep better at night rather than trying to save a few bucks. They can be pretty brutal sometimes.