Audi 80 central locking

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This model doesn't function from the trunk....none of the type 89's did (AFAIK)!!
Old 09-23-2001, 02:02 PM
dpd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: This model doesn't function from the trunk....none of the type 89's did (AFAIK)!!

correct,my fault,mixed the units up[hard to keep track of the pumps].
Old 09-24-2001, 09:11 AM

Default Re: READ.....Testing Procedure!!!

Cheers, but still a bit stuck. I have posted a picture of my pump at:

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/25543/cl1.jpg

could it be that european and US specs are different?

anyway I am very grateful for all the help you are all providing. Keep it up please.
Old 09-24-2001, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's different than my pump.....

...but my car doesn't have a factory alarm either. That *MAY* be the difference (but I'm pretty sure that my last type 89, with an alarm, looked the same as the pump I have now).

If you don't find the wire colors that I have listed than write the wire colors you do have and post them?? I'll see if I can find something..if the colors do match then I would "cautiously" run the procedure with a VOLTMETER!!

Looks like your pump is somewhere between the pre-'91 and the '93 US 90's!! If the colors don't match I'm sure I can figure it out between the two 90 manuals I have!!
Old 09-25-2001, 06:39 AM

Default Further revalations

I have just had the pump to pieces and put 12v directly to the top of the motor, the motor is fine. So It must be either the circuit board or the signal to the board. I will do your recommended checks tonight if the wire colours are the same. Will let you know.

Paul
Old 09-25-2001, 11:26 AM

Default Re: That's different than my pump.....

I have tride the tests with what wires were the same colours:

Doors unlocked
Red/Black to Brown 12v
Green/Blue to Brown 12v

Doors Locked
Green/Blue to Red Black 12v
Green/Blue to Brown 0v

Could not go any further

The colours go:
Row 1
Blue/Brown, Green/Blue, Brown/White, Brown/Green, Red, Blue/Black
Row 2
Blue/Brown, Yellow/Blue, Brown/White, Red, Red, None
Old 09-26-2001, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Peice of cake......Sorry for the delay.....

....I was to busy to get on last night!!

You have the *exact* partial wiring for the '93+ 90's. Here's what each of your wires does!!

Row 1
Blue/Brown - Signal to operate footwell lights (Ground (GND) when lights are on)

Green/Blue - Lock/Unlock Signal from door lock switch (12v when the car is unlocked, GND when locked)

Brown/White - Lock Signal from driver door (GND to lock the car)

Brown/Green - Unlock signal from dirvers door (GND to unlock the car)

Red - 12v with key in the ignition
Blue/Black - 12v with the ignition switched on

Row 2
Blue/Brown - Signal to operate interior lights (GND when lights are on)

Yellow/Blue - Lock/Unlock from signal from passengers door (12v when the car is unlocked, GND when locked)

Brown/White - Door contact switch (GND when dorrs are OPEN)

Red - Polarity jumper wire (from below)
Red - Polarity Jumper wire (from above)
None - Nothing :-)

A REALLY easy test....

With the car unlocked (and the vacuum pump hooked up with all doors and trunk shut) jump the Brown/White wire to ground. This SHOULD lock all of your door (if you have ALL doors and trunk shut). Jumping the Brown/Green will unlock all the doors.

To finish the rest of the test I oultined in my previous post....Substiute Green/Red for the Yellow/Blue wire. And obviously the *Red* in row 1 is the *Red* I spoke of in my first post!!

Another thing to check is to make sure that all of the door/trunk contact switches are okay. Check them in both front doors and the trunk (and hood) to make sure they aren't broekn.....these are the plunger things that operate your interior lights!! If you find one broken replace!!

Let me know how these tests come out!! You also have enough info above to run a few of your own checks!! Right now I'm leaning towards a bad pump!!

HTH!!
Old 09-27-2001, 09:12 AM

Default And so the story continues

I have not tried the really easy test as I could not figure out how to earth the wires with all the doors & trunk shut (Doh), but I have done all the others.
I get the results you state except:

0v when I connect the Red wire (12v with key in ignition) to the Brown wire. You state I should have 12v, Are we getting closer?

I have replaced one of the contact switches (back door) and checked all others are connected. Another point that may be significant is that the interior light does NOT come on when the door is opened, the bulb is alright though. The boot (trunk) light does come on.

Cheers

Paul
Old 09-27-2001, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For the interior light you....

....have to have the light switch (by the sunroof controls) in a certain position. Make sure that is switched to the correct place!! If that's in the *other* (non-light) position that won't matter...as long as it works correctly in the (light) position!!

From the sounds of it the Red wire was okay. Should be 0v withOUT the key in the ignition and 12v WITH the key in the igntion. That's what you got right!!?

I thought you might have trouble with the *EASY* test. You have the "gas tank in the boot" body style with no pass through. In the '93+ this is EASY. You may want to try grounding the wire while holding the boot contact switch down. This of course will be easy by using your third arm!!! ;-) (NOTE: Remember for this test the connector MUST be plugged into the vacuum pump)

I'm still leaning towards the pump but we want to be sure before even thinking of spending that type of money!!

HTH!!
Old 09-27-2001, 11:19 PM

Default Re: For the interior light you....

Bad explanation on my part. I got 0v with the key in and out. I do have the light switch in the right position.
The easy test could be done by pushing the trunk catch up into the 'closed' position. the contact on the connector is so small though, I am a bit wary of trying this.
I am trying to find someone with the same pump to try theirs in my car.
How do you add pictures of your cars onto the bottom of your replies? Is it a simple paste job?

Paul

Quick Reply: Audi 80 central locking