Audi 80E 2.0 Auto 1993 Ignition fault?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 80E 2.0 Auto 1993 Ignition fault?

Hi, I am having an interesting problem with my 80E. Its starts fine hot or cold, and will idle smooth for a short while, then the idle will become slightly rough, almost as if a spark plug misses its firing point once every 10 revolutions. The car drives ok under load but as soon as you lift of the gas, you get some judder/jerking, almost as if the car is over running then pulling back, then over running again & so on. I have new leads, cap, rotor arm and new plugs. I cant make up my mind whether this is fuel or ignition related. Anyone had anything similar, or have any ideas where to go next. I had considered the ignition module but for the price they charge, its a bit expensive to swap out if its not the cure.

Thanks in advance for any assitance, and apologies if this has been answered 100 times before, this is my first posting on this site

JD
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm not sure if your engine has one or not but...

Try cleaning your ISV (Idle Stabilization Valve). It's usually very easy to do and has a profound effect on the performance of the engine while your not pressing on the gas. Make sure whatever you use to clean out the passage inside the ISV is safe for electronics, and to end it spray a good amount of WD40 on the valve portion of the mechanism and drain it.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: I'm not sure if your engine has one or not but...

Hi, thanks for your response.
I have carried that out as I had the same thought as yourself, I also cleaned all the breather hoses and connections to ensure there were no blockages. Sadly, this didnt help
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would start looking into the cheaper parts that may be the culprit

I would replace the fuel filter if you haven't in a while. It also could be your catalytic converter clogged up. When both my cats went bad the car ran terribly at low RPM, and as they cats got progressively worse, the car lost more and more power.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:15 AM

Default Re: I would start looking into the cheaper parts that may be the culprit

OK, fuel filter is on the list of things to change, so I will sort that one. No way of testing cat without swapping out I guess?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Take a hammer and hit the cat (gently)...if you hear bits inside rattling, it's shot.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Take a hammer and hit the cat (gently)...if you hear bits inside rattling, it's shot.

To me it sounds like it could be the Oxygen sensor\Coolant Temperature sensor as it runs fine when cold and only starts having issues once warmed up.

Switch the temperature sensor first as it's easier to get at and cheaper.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Take a hammer and hit the cat (gently)...if you hear bits inside rattling, it's shot.

I understand that there are 2 temp sensors, is this correct? One I asume tells the ECU whats going on, the other provides the temp gauge on the dash? If this is correct, which one should I be looking at swapping out. Sorry if this sounds simple but this is the 1st Audi I have owned and I am still waiting for the workshop manual to arrive.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:20 PM

On mine it was the lower one, I'm assuming that your car is using CIS-E. It has a 2 contact sensor similar to the one on the idle stabilizer.

When mine failed I went through almost every possible cause(fuel filter, injector seals,plugs, etc.) till it occured to me what could have caused the issue.

This article helped immensely on finding the issue.

edit-I emailed you a page that may make it more clear. Hope this helps.<ul><li><a href="http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/tuning-cise.htm">http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/tuning-cise.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-14-2006, 01:13 AM

Espy, many thanks for the info, I will let you know what happens once I have changed the temp sensor

Quick Reply: Audi 80E 2.0 Auto 1993 Ignition fault?