Audi 90 FWD's with lowering springs. [conserns lowering spring noise in rear]

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 90 FWD's with lowering springs. [conserns lowering spring noise in rear]

Well I have been trying to fix the noise for ever. I thought I knew what caused the noise. I was wrong. Vogotland was wrong. I and Vog thought that the spring was boncing off the housing in the rear suspension causing the clunking noise. The clunking noise sounds like a blown shock for refrence.

So far I replaced the rear guid bushings in the axle. They where warn so I thought it would change something. For instance maybe they just got noise now that there where stiffer springs.

Then I relized it was the strut hitting the housing. This was confirmed through Vogotland in a later post from another forum member. So recently I added some foam tubbing around the strut. This didnt work. There is no way the strut is hitting the housing and still giving me this noise.

I think maybe the spring is just collapsing against its self on impact and causing the clunking. Its a freaking terrible noise. However, I cant say I blam it on the design How else would we get a stiff spring. Maybe they would have made the rear springs stand up a little higher.

Anyway for now we will have to deal with it. I am thinking of maybe adding some foam around the spring to try and dampin it there. If that doesnt work I am not sure ill be able to come up with a solotion without putting a video cam in there to see what is actualy happening to cause the noise. Its not that important to me to go that far though, so sorry. One more attempt with the foam around the spring and thats it.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the HD's make a diffrence?