Audi 90 Quattro suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Audi 90 Quattro suspension

I am in need of a suspension overhaul. My front right side is rigid and makes a lot of noise when I hit bumps.

I have seen a number of options for struts ranging in price from $40 a piece to as much as $200 for Bilstein and Koni.

How much difference is there between the options and are the expensive options that much better?

Also, what should I be replacing besides the struts as part of this job?

thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I should mention it's a 1993
Old 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember the old saying, "you get what you pay for". Dont expect longevity and performance from anything cheap. As for the noise, its probably strut mount related. Check your control arm bushings for wear and balljoint.
Attached Images  

Last edited by red90q; 10-24-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like KYB GR-2 as the budget/just want shocks replacement. I just put them on my sister's 80 Quattro and they ride fine. My friend ran them for a while on his wife's Focus, good ride and no problems.

That would be my rock bottom... do not buy Gabriels or anything else rock bottom like that.

The Bilsteins are super-solid shocks though. I know someone autocrossing a Vette on 20-year-old Bilstein shocks and they are still doing fine, no leaks.

I'm not a huge fan of Koni, as my twin-tube Koni yellows weeped a little oil from the adjusters (common issue), and I thought that was poor form. One of the Konis began rattling about 40K into service and doesn't feel as sharp, so I think it's blown or starting to get there. Then again, lots of people love Koni and have good luck with them.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also agree that you should check strut mounts (034 motorsports sells very reasonably priced high-quality strut mounts, I just put 'em in, they were visibly more solid than stockers).

Jack up the car and inspect the suspension. You should be able to tell what's loose. I thought my control arm bushings were bad, but they were actually decent. You can do the job in stages, too. Strut, tie rod ends and strut mounts are all part of the "strut"-related job. Also buy fresh bump-stops ("bumpers") and boots. I bought the Monroe 63619 kit, which has both for about $15, and it was a good kit.

Control arms and ball joint is another, mostly separate job.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I will jack the car up today and inspect. I should be able to compare the drivers side with the passenger side and see what is screwy.

Can I do front now and rear later?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used KYB stuff when I re-did my front suspension. It's been 2 years and it still feels good. I agree that you should def do the mounts, bump stops, dust covers and struts at the same time.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prep for suspension stages; and steps...

All good suggestions above, it takes more time to learn what you really like and then want, than to do all the work, so you may be right to proceed on a budget.

What model car do you have?

Will you be doing any of the work yourself?

Will you take your car to the dealer or an independent?

These will make a difference to what I might recommend beyond:

As an alignment is recommended after-wards, renewing all the bushings that <i>suspend</i> the suspension from the car beforehand, is also wise.

Search this forum for VAP's "Mount-Savers" and OEM strut-mounts. These may be the most cost effective solution long-term whether you remain with these or move on to his "Pro-Mounts", as the Mount-Savers are transferable. In any case as an Audi 90 owner you should really know why stock mounts alone cannot last and always fail, and the simple theory of how these "Savers" work; even if you choose other mounts. Consider the guarantee (lifetime) on on these two products, and then ask yourself how many alternatives are you willing to buy, and replace before you get the ones that will be the last you'll have to purchase, and install. You may contact him through any of his post's here.

Bilstein's also have an awesome guarantee, as for the others, I don't know. That would make an interesting comparison, perhaps those with KYB's & will pipe in.

On my B4, I did almost everything to the front before I did anything to the rear. The front is more highly loaded, so it wears faster.

Also know that this topic has been heavily discussed in the past and is retrievable by searching here using key-word(s) as search-terms.

Last edited by Lago Blue; 11-03-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lago, where would you suggest to buy Bilstein products for the 90s? As for other suspension needs, ie, bushings and strut mounts, etc I think 034 is a great start. My rear suspension is acting up with clunky sounds after going over potholes in the road. I would like to do all the suspension at once but you are more then safe to do the front first and the rear later.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SC - I got some Bilsteins with one car, bought some used separately, and some at shockwharehouse.com

Re rear suspension noise, you may want to see this:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=poly

Quick Reply: Audi 90 Quattro suspension