Audi 90 stalls in park or neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 90 stalls in park or neutral

My Audi 90 (1994) 2.8 liter automatic, stalls in park or neutral. Seems to idle well when not in those two. If I start it it idles in park for about min and then turns off. If I drive somewhere, anywhere, it shuts off a second after I put it in park or neutral.

I read about stall problems here and other places on the net and I have a few ideas about what it might be (ie idle control, fuel injectors, others that I forgot), but no ones problem or symptoms is/are exactly the same as mine. So I'm here begging for help.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinkin' ISV, but seems strange it only happens in N and D.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmmm... I think the problem is it's an automatic.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Kick a man while he's down why don't ya.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Cleaning the ISV couldn't hurt...it's cheap, and if it isn't it, it's one less suspect.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd say ISV. The ECU kicks up engine speed in D or R, to overcome the drag of the Auto Trans...

but lets it drop when in P or N. The ECU is relying on the ISV in P or N to maintain the idle. If the ISV is sticking or non-functioning, then the car will die, because it is not responding to commands from the ECU to open and close appropriately to maintain idle.

Clean or replace ISV. The fact that the car runs fine while driving rules out a lot of stuff.

Incidentally, I just checked my ISV last night, after I had cleaned it about one year ago. Still very clean.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Okay, I got the ISV out, now what . . .

The site I mentioned in one of my posts http://mansell.stucen.gatech.edu/wwwboard/messages/3412.html Does not describe how to clean the ISV except the connectors, which are very clean. The whole thing seems to be very clean.

The only thing i see that's strange is that the above link mentions a gasket between the ISV and manifold and there was no gasket.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I figured out what and where the ISV is, but . . .

I can't get it off. In the 1994, it's right next to intake manifold. I have the whole air intake off and the super sexy engine cover off and the two nuts that hold the ISV to the engine manifold, but it still won't come lose and I can't see underneath it. Maybe there are tubes or something I don't want to break. I'm using these instructions http://mansell.stucen.gatech.edu/wwwboard/messages/3412.html He says there are two nuts and then he says there are three. I only see two.

Can anyone tell me how to get the ISV off? Is there the two nuts or three?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I figured out what and where the ISV is, but . . .

I have a 94 90S and I was able to get it off fairly easily if I recall, but I have small hands. I think there are 3 bolts.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I GOT IT OUT NOW . . .

I got it out. I was wondering how to clean it. I just sprayed WD-40 inside it. The connectors look very clean. There was no gasket between ISV and intake manifold. They said there would be one in the instructions i read here http://mansell.stucen.gatech.edu/wwwboard/messages/3412.html It's getting dark so I guess I will dump out the WD-40 and put it together soon. I don't know what help straying the WD-40 will be.

I did find a big hole in the vacume tube rubber 5 cm tube connectors that runs along side the right side valve cover. There's a Y shape tube arrangement there and it's connected with rubber tube connectors. Then the tube goes into the air intake tube and then air intake manifold. I'm trying to replace it with a tube that's the wrong size right now.

Quick Reply: Audi 90 stalls in park or neutral