Audi Cabrio..check engine light..what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks...do you know where i can get the replacment bulbs? or maybe a part number?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought some replacement bulbs at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts (Aka Checker, Shucks, Kragen)
Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

what about the transmission selector lights...how do i change those?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by imncrxtc
what about the transmission selector lights...how do i change those?
There is a DIY on here or on Quattroworld that shows exactly how to replace the bulbs.

The gear selector has one or two small bulbs that are soldered on a circuit board. I have done a couple gear indicators and temp displays and if you have the right equipment it is a pretty easy job.

I have 2 or 3 extra gear indicator units sitting around that I could put new bulbs in if you don't feel like attmepting the DIY.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

how much would you want?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hubturn
We've been waiting on the results of your codes. If you are having trouble with that, you could always go to a shop and get a code scan, probably $50-$60. A parts store usually doesn't have a sophisticated enough scanner and additionally you are an OBD-I vehicle. My experience on my '95 Cabriolet was to throw oxygen sensor codes. Replaced them and still same thing, car warms up and get a check engine light (CEL). This leads to the good advice I received from Crazy Russian and Loudgoldwing, that codes do not necessarily reflect the problem, just the symptom. In my case, that the O2 sensor was detecting the symptoms of O2 failure but it was not necessarily O2 sensor failure. Cleaned out the intake filter box, cleaned the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF), replaced the noise damper gasket (or do the phone wire mod) replaced a few vacuum hoses and the problem went away. In short, cleaning and tightening up the system to prevent unmetered or poorly metered air in the system brought it back into acceptable parameters. I would recommend doing those things, as they can't hurt and are reasonably cheap, and then see how it goes. O2 sensors are pricy. Play it safe and use MAF cleaner on the MAF wire.
. Do you know what the Audi part# is for the nois dampner gasket ? My audi dealer doesn't know what I'm talking about when on the phone.. Thanks Duane as I'm tossing a engine code only when driving at 55 but I have to find my vag software kit again. I remeber it was curled up some when I removed the black intake cover with the 2 valave breather hoses when I did a engine swap. Thanks