B4 front in b3 rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B4 front in b3 rear?

looking through the forum I see that the b4 guys are using the b3 rear strut tubes up front. I want to know if i could kiddy corner mount the front suspension from a b4 in the rear of my 91' CQ? I would stay with the strut tube from the b3. Would this work?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default front strut has steering arm... why ever would you want a steering arm in the rear?

shocks are interchangeable *i think*, although Bilstein does list a different PN for a rear B3q shock than the front. I do remember that there is a complication with the fitment of the strut inserts and the strut. It had to do with early and late build coupequattros, in that the earlies could have the front shock at all four corners, whereas the lates needed a specific front and specific rear shock (as like what is indicated by the Bilstein part numbers.) With that being said I don't think the B3 specific rear shock would fit into a B4 front strut.

I don't know where you are reading that people are using B3 shocks up front. perhaps some references would be useful for use to analyze and dissect any confusion on your part
Old 01-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Default I know that

I would be removing those. I am trying to get forged rear control arms. I said that they are using the larger diameter strut tube. I am looking to get the lower half in the rear since that is far stronger then the stock b3 rear. I think that would require go front left to rear right IIRC. Has this ever been tried? looking at ETK it looks possible.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default why not go with putting the forged arms from a B3 onto the B3 rear? this has been discussed.. STFA

more thoroughly... Alex@Europrice is the one who comes to mind.

then you don't have to change struts.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Interesting Idea i have emailed alex.

I had heard that he used them in the rear just oppisite corners like i said. What would the disadvantage of running the b4 bearing hold since I can just ise the b3 strut tube.

here is where I got that info:
https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/294863.phtml

Does that sound like it would work? That would allow me to run shortened 90 front half shafts and 100cs hubs
Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default ok, first off:

the link you supplied had NOTHING to do with the control arm exchange. It also doesn't state that B4 front struts will fit inplace of B3 rear. Though through inferring, one can presume that since B3 rear struts will fit at the front of B4, B4 struts should fit in the rear of B3. And I still don't understand why you are after a strut exchange. There is no requirement that for the forged control arms you need specific struts or knuckles.

Second, that post also has nothing to do with drive train and/or hubs. Changing the struts is in no way related to axles, and if you can keep the same knuckles (with the new struts) then there's nothing to worry about. By what reasoning/rational have you come to presume that you need shorter halfshafts? 100cs hubs aren't a direct fit into ANY B3/4 knuckles.

Third, you need to be a little less vague and sketchy with both your questions and ideas. Making me chase you through all these posts as you propose various trains of thought is rather annoying and quite frankly a waste of my weekend. It'd be A LOT easier to just come out and state everything you wanted right up front:

"Hello, I am Mr. n00b. I sort of use the search function, but not really that well. I want to do a forged control arm upgrade on the rear of my B3 sedan. Is there anything strange to do with odd-ball suspension swaps as well? Or is it mostly just a straightforward control arm swap? I am also looking at 5lug hubs and am a little confused as to what are my options. I am sorry for wasting everyone's time. I will make an effort to learn how to use the search."

I will help get you started. In exactly 5seconds I found the definitive post on Forged control arms. <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/296074.phtml">Read it and go nuts.</a> If you have further questions on the subjet you need to get in direct contact with those posters involved.

There is also plenty of background info to do with 5lug upgrades and methods/options. They are all there, I know, because I've written half of 'em.

As for the strut swap idea, I think it's bollox. You needn't worry about mix'n-matching B4 and B3, and the only reason Mance did was because it was in his better interests to have a "clean" strut-tube for building his coilovers on to.

I am done typing. I have many tasks I need to do and I can't spend my whole day sitting here leading you through the dark.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:20 PM

Default revisted B4 front in b3 rear?

After reading alex's and mance's threads I think that If I take a set of b4 hub carriers and forged control arms mated to the stock b4 strut tube would give me a stiffer rear suspension. I would be swapping In 92-94 100cs Hubs which are compatible with the 82mm front Bearing (since they both use the same). Does any one see why this wouldn't work?
I have been looking and found quite abit on the b3 strut tube swap thatnks to mance.

Does the b4 90q use the same front halfshafts as the Coupe?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

This is sort of why MG has pretty much stopped helping this kid....
Old 01-15-2006, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Expert

well, I'm 100% inclined to side with MG.