Brakelight switch update (important for those with early 90q's)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakelight switch update (important for those with early 90q's)

I have returned from the dealership; the brakelight switch finally arrived, and it was the wrong one.

The switches came in two versions, round pins and flat pins. The flat pin is part number 857 945 515A. The round pin is part number 443 945 515. There is also an associated small wiring harness that varies between the two switches.

The flat pin switch is no longer available. Some online sources list it (autohausaz.com), but the dealer no longer can supply this part. If your car uses this style of switch, you will need to either buy a new harness which contains the round pins, or get one of the dealer wires (# 000 979 120A), cut the end off the existing wiring harness, and splice the wire in. You can either shrink-wrap the wire ends, or buy the round-terminal connector designed for the switch. Another solution to the wiring harness it to go to a wreckers and find an audi with the proper piece (round female connectors and flat male connectors).

So, after having no proper brakelight switch all week, I was not pleased to discover all of this at a dealership on a friday afternoon. One of the service techs was in the parts department, and was able to help me out, knew which wire I would need (and kindly wrote it all down so I would get charged the $8.00 for the wire). I've now spliced together a proper wiring harness using the old adaptor and the new wire (each end of the wire had a round terminal, cut wire in 1/2, cut connector off old harness, splice wires in). Total cost to me, $49.35 cdn (not including the shrink tube I had, the solder, or the home-made switch I had to run all week while waiting for the dealer to get me the part).

I got no indication from ETKA when the change-over occurred in the switches, so this could apply for multiple years. I haven't been able to check the parts cars yet, as they are 2 hours away.

On a positive note, the new switch is semi-transparent, and you can see the contact mechanism.... no spring loaded side contacts. Instead, connectors that rest against eachother when activated.... much longer life span.