Cabriolet does not crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet does not crank

Dear all,
I let the car sit for 2 months in my garage and she gradually lost power. The last time I tried to start her up she emited a clack clack clack noise and died. Today I tried to jump start: instrument cluster is all lit up but everytime I turn the ignition there is a couple of low sounding thump and nothing...
Please tell me where I should start checking and other tests I should perform to rule out causes. Thanks in advance for your help
Fred
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the battery connections off and clean the terminals and clamps. I've had bad connections cause those symptoms. Also you can rule the battery out by taking to Autozone or wherever for a charge and test. It's usually free.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The battery is dead allright!

Yes I know the battery is dead because I tried to jump start it with cables connected to another car. I will try cleaning the connectors...Any other idea anyone?
Thanks
FB
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sometimes the battery is so dead that it needs charging over night before you can jump start the car. If the battery has a dead cell it may not even take a charge. The previous suggestion of taking the battery to Auto Zone or similar is likely your best bet. If the battery is bad replace it & then try starting your car.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My participation in this thread has somehow jinxed me - My battery had to be replaced on my Cabriolet yesterday.

So now I know - Autozone is indeed free for a test. They can test the Alternator assuming the car is running too and rule out its failure.

My car BARELY cranked over yesterday morning and again in the afternoon so I had it checked.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default battery

I would suggest you connect your booster cables up ,then let it sit for a couple of minutes to get some juice going.Then, put the key in the drivers side door and lock and unlock your car a couple of times, then try and start the car.
Sometimes the alarm system thinks someone is trying to steal it when the battery goes dead.This has happened to me.Sticking the key in the door and locking and unlocking will reset the system.
Worth a try and doesn't cost anything.
good luck
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you all for the feedback, I will try the key trick first and then check the battery at Autozone.
I know something must be draining the battery and I will have to find out what it is with the anmeter...
Sorry for the bad spell grillage! My intentions were good
Cheers!
Fred
Old 03-02-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the battery is old and has been sitting drained [<12.00V] the plates probably have sulfur buildup on them, you will never get a full charge into the battery.
Your battery might only have 350CCA of power, not enough to turn the engine before exhausted.

Unless you have a good float charger [VDC] which can pulse the battery to break up sulfur it is time for a new battery.

I also have the top C-tek charger which works great, it checks the battery to make sure it is healthy before it begins charging.

If you charge it fully and let it sit for a day and check the volts, if it cannot hold 12.8V your battery is shot.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update for your reading pleasure!
New battery in = car started right up.
Drove it to the shop to check on a leak.
Surprise! It's actually 3 leaks: transmission oil gasket, steering pump and oil pan gasket.
Mechanic: did you hit something hard on the road? ;(