Can I do a front strut job without special tools??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I do a front strut job without special tools??

I have a 95 quattro sport, wanting to change out the front struts this weekend. I have new inserts and mounts. I know that the job typically requires some special tools that I do not have, and would rather not have to purchase. How have you guys gotten around using these, or even better, anyone want to rent/loan them to me? Sonnigentag had offered before, but is no longer on this forum and I can't reach him. Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

well, you need something to compress the springs, they will take your fingers off if you don't! the big nut on top of your strut you can take off with a monkey wrench (gas pipe) or channel locks... also you need a special tool to take off the nut on the top mount
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

the spring compressor is a must . most parts stores loan them out free of charge after leaving a deposit, i took my cap off with a pipe wrench and lots of heat. and a 5lb sledge.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it's the same setup as my '95 Cab, you do need the special tools. All three as a group on ebay for $38. You can make the deep open socket out of a cheap one by grinding out a slot, and the slotted nut tool can be made out of a big nut and grinding it down. But, that's alot of work (I did it) and I wish I had just bought them. To really tighten the cap, you need a giant channel lock, like about 18 inches long or longer. The monkey wrench works, but it just won't let you really grab it. Also, after you get it on the car, you can reach through the springs with the channel lock and really put some torque on the cap since the weight of the car is helping. Learned that trick from my mechanic. You can think the cap is tight, but if you hear any clunk at all going over a bump, its not. You'll hurt yourself without a spring compressor. Get somebody to give you the procedure from the Bentleys manual.