Cleaning throttle body....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning throttle body....

I'm trying to figure the best way to efficiently clean a throttle body. I have it removed from the manifold and I have removed the full throttle switch assembly. Has anybody here used the Berryman Chem Dip? I was thinking of just letting it sit in there for 15-30 minutes. I tested it on a bicycle chain I thought was beyond saving and it worked amazingly! It's like new. Now on the instructions it says to remove all plastic and rubber fittings but the throttle body has those plastic throttle spring retainers and the plastic cylinder liners (the things that make contact with the full throttle switch lever). Now I'm I was wondering if this would be ok since they are modern plastics designed to withstand high temps, petroleum products,etc. The Berryman stuff I got is a gallon paint can with a strainer basket. The stuff is designed for degunking carbs and I was wondering if it would be ok to put the tb in there even with the modern plastics. It only mentioned it once in the intructions without any other warning about immersing resin pieces. I dunno. I was just hoping for some input here.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Take it apart and clean the pieces

remember to take a series of pictures while disassembling.

carb cleaner should do the trick. If you're feeling really ambitious, you can bead blast the TB housing exterior.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:00 AM

Default The thing is....

I have everything stripped, but there are some things that can't be removed. The throttle return spring assemblies are in between stamped levers which are swedged onto the throttle. Ie they should not be removed. I did that for the previous tb and that's why I'm on my second. So I'm not going down that route. The full throttle switch and all other stuff has been removed. My main concern is the plastic pieces. I put in an old mechanical fuel pump from the Triumph and the plastic on it seemed to be ok.