Colchester, VT - European Cure

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colchester, VT - European Cure

Hello all. Wondering if anyone has heard anything about the European Cure in Colchester, VT. I dropped my car off this morning for some work - I guess the owner is a rally driver and only works on Audis & VWs. I'll let you locals know how it works out.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Colchester, VT - European Cure

Howdy! Very familiar with that shop and the owner. Paul's a nice guy, kinda quiet sometimes, but does pretty good work most of the time at damn reasonable labor costs, just don't bring your own parts. He's done wheel bearings for me before, borrowed the lift for a bit to check my trans and diff fluid, spent plenty of time just milling around the shop checking out the rally car or other projects, chatting with other folk.

European Cure is the only shop I recommend in this area, EuroTech only leads to horror stories, AutoSport are nice fellows, but European Cure is really the only Audi/VW only shop around.

What is he doing to the car? You have to make sure everything is very straight forward, diagnosis does not seem to a major strong point of Paul's sometimes. I had a bent rear stub axle which caused my wheel bearing to go bad on the old 80, I figured at 70k and 12 years it was just old, so I had him replace the rears. A month later humming away again. I asked him if he remembers anything not lining up right, said that one side did not line up perfect when installing, wasn't sure what the deal was, but installed the bearing anyway. I was a bit miffed about that, but it was sort of a rush job.

Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2002, 06:11 AM

Default EuroTech = nightmare!

My car was running great until I had the timing belt/water pump r&r'd at EuroTech. Went back 3 times to get them to fix the problem they caused (belt too tight) and I'm not sure they even popped the hood any of those times.

I've heard good things about Paul's shop so I'm going to see if he can get in there and figure it out. His labor rates are about 30% less than other shops... Still, I'm a little miffed that I paid EuroTech top dollar for an expensive job and am now spending more $$$ to correct their error.

Should I contact the BBB?
Old 09-23-2002, 06:16 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: EuroTech = nightmare!

Howdy! Never heard anything but horror stories about EuroTech. A fellow stopped by last weekend while we were pulling apart the junk 80q out in the lot. He snagged an 80q for free and the last place it had been was EuroTech. They had charged to have a new radiator and fan switch installed, they installed the fan switch in the old radiator, then took that radiator out and installed the old fan switch in the new radiator, then managed to wrench down to hard on the top nut that they cracked the new radiator, claimed it was caused by the car overheating (not their fault), and the list went on and on. Honestly I have never heard a good story, old housemate took his 100S there and same old story, came back worse than before.

Cheers,
Old 09-23-2002, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default where abouts in Colchester is this located? and what's his labor rate?

I'd be interested in knowing what you think.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:35 AM

Default location...

Hi. European Care is located at 1606 Heineberg Drive in Colchester. If you turn into Ft. Ethan Allen (off of Route 15) it's the 3rd road in the back.

He charges $48/hour. I'll let you know what I think when I pick up my car.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:41 AM

Default AND Eurospec = Nightmare

These guys made a deal with me via email and phone and then when I sent them my cams and was at their mercy they held them hostage and then ended up breaking our agreement and sent them back at their will. They stone-faced lied to me and admitted as much on the phone -- I have to sue them and it sucks because 3 mechanics will have to either show up in court or sign statements and Eurospec will have to represent themselves in Canada. They claim to have lawyers on retainer in every major city...what does that tell you? Either they are used to being litigated, or they are full of it again.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:54 AM

Default Update!

Paul just said that the car was all set - he loosened the timing belt (too tight as I suspected) and re-hooked up the fans correctly (EuroTech hooked them up wrong).

Total? $50.

A bargain! Now I'll be writing EuroTech a letter to see if I can get the money out of them (yeah right!)
Old 09-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Update!

Howdy! Great news. Paul's a good guy, shops a bit messy, he does things his own way, but generally speaking his labor rate is a steal and the work he does actually works.

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

hehe.. thats a quarter mile away from my work. I've heard nothing but good from Paul's shop

Quick Reply: Colchester, VT - European Cure