Drill a hole in my fenderwell... Are you SERIOUS?!?! <rant>

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drill a hole in my fenderwell... Are you SERIOUS?!?! <rant>

Recently I was the lucky recipient of a half-dollar size door ding curtsey of some @sshole plumber. Anyhow... long story longer, I had a Paintless Dent Repair person come out today. He came recommended by a fellow AW member in my region and I must say over the phone he sounded professional. I had asked him if he wanted me to do anything to prep the car for the repair, specifically removing the quarter panel cover to allow easier access to the back of the dent, to which he replied "No, I do this stuff all day long and removing and installing interior panels is no problem at all." Great, or so I thought. He showed up today in my driveway, takes a look at the car, and looks at me and says "well, I'm just going to go ahead and drill a hole in the fender well to access the back of this dent, is that OK with you?"

You can imagine my response, it went something like "I don't think so..." to which he replied again "I do this type of stuff all day long." That ticked me off a little. He may do this all day to dealer lot cars for quick $$ repairs in bulk but if you want it done right... it speaks for itself A HOLE? for Christ sake

Anyhow I sent him on his way and just to prove to myself it was easy, I had the quarter panel cover out in &lt;10 minutes (with zero experience, and with out breaking anything I might add).

Anyhow this is getting frustrating. After this little incident I looked into "paintless dent removal" deeper and found that this procedure can leave a crack in the paint surface that will lead to problems down the road. I will be having the panel repaired the ol' fashioned way. (sand, pull, paint, blend, buff)

All for now &lt;/rant&gt;
Old 03-24-2005, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever get ahold of the plubmer?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

Default Lol funny story.. Maybe he should have just whiped out his bondo tool belt and said something like..

Bondo do it right the first time. Or whatever that slogan is that floating around the forums latly.

On another note, dont let them bondo your car. Down the line 3-5 years the bondo can shrink and the paint will crack and peal.

Lol ill just drill a hole right here in the fender well. Glad he asked before he did it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok good, it's not just me that thinks this is CRAZY...

He just called me and left a nasty message about refusing his services... He's a real professional, well what can I say, that message is proof enough to me that I made the right decision. Time to find someone I trust.

Paul
Old 03-24-2005, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, they're paying for it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did not know the hole method was still used. A claw will be put in the hole

to pull out the dent. I have not tried it before though
Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well thats good...the right thing to do, however...

NOT so right if U had to confornt them to get them to admit they did it and pay for it...as apposed to them finding U or leaving a note on car.

My buddy ACTUALY came out of walmart and had a dent in his fender....on drivers side window was a peice of paper with a name and phone number....dude payed for ALL work...rare kind of person
Old 03-24-2005, 03:43 PM

u should post this "repair" guy's info
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's not really my style

It is not my intention to print anything specific about this particular person. Others on this board have had good experiences with him and I'm sure he has done good work or, in fact, does good work. I, however, didn't appreciate his attitude or his method. To each his own, I don't trust the guy and as rarely as I have others do any work on my car, I must trust them first, him I do not.

Here's a little update:
I found that I had a missed call and a message from him. I wont go into detail about what the message contained but he was unprofessional and unwilling to conduct any further business with me. Let's just say I'm glad I made the decision not to have him do any work for me.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default i find it easier to replace a fender instead of drill and pull

but some stuff can't be replaced so easily